Present Perplexity
The most difficult Christmas persent to find this year isn't the X-box 306, the Tickle Me Elmo, or anything like that. No - if you were to truly take an acurate account of most difficult to find Christmas presents, you'd find that this:

is really the worst. Let me explain: my entire immediate family is VERY into James Bond. My sister and I grew up watching all the movies (except "In Her Majesty's Sercret Service" but come on, everyone knows that George Lazenby was the worst James Bond ever. I mean really, he gets MARRIED in this one, the wife gets killed, and he spends the rest of the movie crying about it. Lame!) We have all of them on tape, and watched them all the time. My personal favorite is "Diamonds are Forever", followed closely by "The Spy who loved me" and "Moonraker". I won't get into who my favorite James Bond actor is right now - that will take quite a while to explain.
So, I was in Barns and Noble the other day, looking over some books. I happened to come across this particular book in question, and knew that it would be the perfect Christmas gift for my dad.
Herein lies the snag: I searched through almost every book store in the entire Twin Cities metro area, and found one of two things to be true of every store. One, they didn't have the book. Or two, they had one copy, but it was, shall we say, "tattered". Yup - either someone else had bought the book, or the copy in the store had had too much traffic through it for anyone to want to buy it.
Aparetnly, this is quite a popular book.
So, I had to order one, which I did. It came in last night - just in time for Christmas! The only problem is, the lady told me that the bottom had a little "shelf damage", so she'd take 10% off for me. Maybe some of the shipping guys had some time on their hands. Well, I guess it just isn't possible to get a perfect copy of "Bond Girls are Forever".

is really the worst. Let me explain: my entire immediate family is VERY into James Bond. My sister and I grew up watching all the movies (except "In Her Majesty's Sercret Service" but come on, everyone knows that George Lazenby was the worst James Bond ever. I mean really, he gets MARRIED in this one, the wife gets killed, and he spends the rest of the movie crying about it. Lame!) We have all of them on tape, and watched them all the time. My personal favorite is "Diamonds are Forever", followed closely by "The Spy who loved me" and "Moonraker". I won't get into who my favorite James Bond actor is right now - that will take quite a while to explain.
So, I was in Barns and Noble the other day, looking over some books. I happened to come across this particular book in question, and knew that it would be the perfect Christmas gift for my dad.
Herein lies the snag: I searched through almost every book store in the entire Twin Cities metro area, and found one of two things to be true of every store. One, they didn't have the book. Or two, they had one copy, but it was, shall we say, "tattered". Yup - either someone else had bought the book, or the copy in the store had had too much traffic through it for anyone to want to buy it.
Aparetnly, this is quite a popular book.
So, I had to order one, which I did. It came in last night - just in time for Christmas! The only problem is, the lady told me that the bottom had a little "shelf damage", so she'd take 10% off for me. Maybe some of the shipping guys had some time on their hands. Well, I guess it just isn't possible to get a perfect copy of "Bond Girls are Forever".

2 Comments:
At 4:48 PM, December 21, 2005,
Kevin Sawyer said…
I dunno, I thought the little know "007: Loneliness is haunting", starring Donald Sutherland, was the worst. It was just 90 minutes of him getting cold stares from Mary Tyler Moore...
At 12:20 PM, December 22, 2005,
chen said…
Does the book have alot of pictures? That could explain why it looks so torn.
Post a Comment
<< Home