St. Laura?
I lead a Bible study for high-schoolers at one of the churches I go to, and have for the last three years. I have two girls (twin sisters) whome I've been able to spend a lot of time with. They're seniors this year and will be off to college soon. And while I'll probably not be able to see as much of them as I do now, I know that we'll be friends throughout our lives.
Anyway, right now we're working on a thirty day Spiritual discipline experiment. For the next thirty days, we're going to consciously keep track of the things were thankful for, and pray about it every day. We've created a blog to record our thoughs and progress, which can be found here. I'm kind of excited about it - it'll be more like the journaling I used to do.
On a whim the other day, I decided to see if there had ever been a St. Laura. Here's what I found:
Hmmm... kind of over the top as far as deaths go. I mean, they could have just knifed her or something, but they took the time to actually melt lead. Kind of makes you wonder why... I mean were they trying to make some sort of political point? Was she a famous symbol of something they were against? Perhaps she just looked at them the wrong way, they felt the need to bust a cap - Midievel Moor style? Maybe they just thought she'd make a pretty statue.
It does leave me with no excuse for not finding anything to be thankful for in a given day, though. No matter what happens, at least I didn't get tossed into a vat of hot, liquid lead. :)
Anyway, right now we're working on a thirty day Spiritual discipline experiment. For the next thirty days, we're going to consciously keep track of the things were thankful for, and pray about it every day. We've created a blog to record our thoughs and progress, which can be found here. I'm kind of excited about it - it'll be more like the journaling I used to do.
On a whim the other day, I decided to see if there had ever been a St. Laura. Here's what I found:
Laura of Córdova, Abbess
Born in Córdova, Spain; died 864. Saint Laura was a 9th-century Spanish martyr. In her widowhood Laura became a nun at Cuteclara, then its abbess. She was incenerated by Moorish conquerors who threw her into a boiling cauldron of molten lead.
Hmmm... kind of over the top as far as deaths go. I mean, they could have just knifed her or something, but they took the time to actually melt lead. Kind of makes you wonder why... I mean were they trying to make some sort of political point? Was she a famous symbol of something they were against? Perhaps she just looked at them the wrong way, they felt the need to bust a cap - Midievel Moor style? Maybe they just thought she'd make a pretty statue.
It does leave me with no excuse for not finding anything to be thankful for in a given day, though. No matter what happens, at least I didn't get tossed into a vat of hot, liquid lead. :)

4 Comments:
At 1:22 PM, December 12, 2005,
chen said…
I'd rather die by lead than by other forms of metal. At least with lead you know you will not die by x-ray.
At 2:22 PM, December 12, 2005,
Jordan said…
I would just like to say that Chen's comment is hilarious....
Laura this was a funny blog entry.
At 10:39 AM, December 13, 2005,
Jordan said…
Laura, I forgot to say that I got your card and pictures over the weekend--thanks, they made me smile! You get the "thoughtful action of the week" award for last week!
Jordan
At 5:24 PM, December 15, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Thanks everyone! Sorry I haven't had too much time to respond, lately. I love you all!
Post a Comment
<< Home