And we're rolling again....
Ok, so last night I went out after work to Chino Latino for "Happy Hour Thursday" with some friends. We do if often, and anyone is welcome. Its a chill time with cheap food and drinks after work, with fun people. If anyone wants to come, just drop me an email and I'll put you on the evite list. Anyway, a few unusual things happened to me while walking to and away from the restraunt.
I parked and was walking throuth Uptown over to Chino. While waiting at a stoplight, I notice a flash of light in my peripheral vision. I turned to look, and saw a man with a camera. I don't know if he was a toruist or what, but I thought it was odd that he wanted my picture. He didn't say anything to me at all, just walked up took my picture, and left. Ok.
Chino's was fun, got to catch up with some fun people. I didn't eat anything, though, due to my distain for Mexican food. Usually when I go to Chino, I end up ordered a hamburger or something. But, hey, that just makes me unique.
Anyway, we left Chino and I was walking myself back over to my car, when I hear "Excuse me ma'am? Can I talk to you for a minute?"
It was a man about my age.
So, I go over to where his buddies have a camera set up on a tripod.
I do. Then, his first question:
At this point, he just stares at me for a while.
I stare back at him.
He continues to stare at me.
And I went on my way. I don't know, maybe he was expecting controversy or something, and then when I said what he believed, it surprised him. I know that MN Teen Challenge is a Christian organization, and maybe they chose Uptown because, lets face it, odds are you'll find some pretty interesting people to interview about religion in Uptown. But, he found me.
I was really happy about it, to tell you the truth. I haven't prayed about it or anything, but lately I've been really wanting a chance to be bold and stand up for what I believe. So, I was really thankful to God for that chance.
I usually try to find out about what other people believe, and talk about that. I usualy don't say what I believe unless I have permission from whomever I'm talking to (either I know them and its cool, or they ask me). But, I don't make a habbit of making sure that everyone in the room knows what I believe all the time. But, every once in a while, its good to be able to be assured that you do have opinions, that you are bold enough to stand up for them.
I parked and was walking throuth Uptown over to Chino. While waiting at a stoplight, I notice a flash of light in my peripheral vision. I turned to look, and saw a man with a camera. I don't know if he was a toruist or what, but I thought it was odd that he wanted my picture. He didn't say anything to me at all, just walked up took my picture, and left. Ok.
Chino's was fun, got to catch up with some fun people. I didn't eat anything, though, due to my distain for Mexican food. Usually when I go to Chino, I end up ordered a hamburger or something. But, hey, that just makes me unique.
Anyway, we left Chino and I was walking myself back over to my car, when I hear "Excuse me ma'am? Can I talk to you for a minute?"
It was a man about my age.
"We're shooting a short film for a class. Could we interview you?"
Me: "Well, what do you want to talk about?"
"I'm just going to ask you some questions about religion."
Me: "Ok, what organization are you with?"
"Minnesota Teen Challange."
Me: "Ok."
So, I go over to where his buddies have a camera set up on a tripod.
"First, please state your name and that you agree to be filmed by us with no compensation."
I do. Then, his first question:
"What do you think will happen to you when you die?"
Me: "Well, I believe in Jesus and have a personal relationship with Him. So, when I die I believe that I will go to Heaven and be with Him. I don't know what that will exactly look like, but I have assurance that it'll all be ok because I trust Him."
"Wow, priase God. That's a bold statement. How do you know all of that?"
Me: "Well, its in the Bible, and I believe what the Bible says."
At this point, he just stares at me for a while.
I stare back at him.
He continues to stare at me.
Me: That it? Or....
"Yes, yes. Thank you."
And I went on my way. I don't know, maybe he was expecting controversy or something, and then when I said what he believed, it surprised him. I know that MN Teen Challenge is a Christian organization, and maybe they chose Uptown because, lets face it, odds are you'll find some pretty interesting people to interview about religion in Uptown. But, he found me.
I was really happy about it, to tell you the truth. I haven't prayed about it or anything, but lately I've been really wanting a chance to be bold and stand up for what I believe. So, I was really thankful to God for that chance.
I usually try to find out about what other people believe, and talk about that. I usualy don't say what I believe unless I have permission from whomever I'm talking to (either I know them and its cool, or they ask me). But, I don't make a habbit of making sure that everyone in the room knows what I believe all the time. But, every once in a while, its good to be able to be assured that you do have opinions, that you are bold enough to stand up for them.

3 Comments:
At 4:36 PM, November 04, 2005,
Jordan said…
Great story Laura. You get an 'A' for the day, if I have anything to say about it. Sometimes I find myself thinking about what percentage of people are actually believers. Real believers. It seems so low. What are the chances that the guy would select you, a true believer? Probability shmobability.
At 5:51 PM, November 04, 2005,
Laura Ibsen said…
Yup - it seems to get lower when I think of people just that I know that say they believe, but twist little parts of the Bible for their own ends. Religion is a tangled web.
Obviously, he picked me because I'm super hot and he wanted an excuse to stare at me. The true believer part was just a bonus. :)
At 9:16 PM, November 07, 2005,
Atticus Pf said…
that's fun! I'm jealous!
Post a Comment
<< Home