Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Call me Crazy, but...


In keeping with the spirit of Halloween, I want to say that I really like cemetaries alot. I love to go out on a sunny day and walk around in them. Cemetaries are usually beautifl places - like parks, only with dead people in them. Years ago, cemetaries were officially recognized parks in our country. They were public places where people could go and pay their respects, then gather round and have a fun picnic. I like to look at the head stones, read the names and dates, and try to imagine what the people were like, or what kind of lives they had.

I used to go to Pensacola, Florida every year during collge for Spring Break. A bunch of friends and I would go down to camp on the beach for a week. There was a small cemetary just down the road from us, with only five or six graves. They had been moved there from some other location during the civil war. Thought some of it was un-readable, I made out this poem on one of the headstones:

Kind angel with this sleeping (dust?)
till Jesus comes to raise thee just
Then may she make with sweet surprise
And in her Saviour's immage rise

Farewell, my (trust?) and my life is past
My love for you through life did last
Grieve not for me nor sorrow take
But love my children for my sake


I think that a husband wrote the first half and his wife wrote the second half. I don't know, but that's just what I like to think.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Julie said…

    Laura I can't see your picture! What is it?

     
  • At 4:14 PM, October 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah, I've been having some trouble with it. Here, I'll put in a different one that I know works.

    Oh - that one was of a beautiful sun-filled graveyard with oak trees and windy paths. It realy was lovely. :)

     
  • At 3:36 PM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Jordan said…

    That was an eery post, but I really like it. The poem... it would be interesting to know the story behind it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home