Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

I spent Tuesday afternoon at Chipotle's. I was there for work: Chipotle had partnered with Hungar Solutions of Minnesota and Community Emergency Service (where I work) to help fight hunger in Minneosta. For that day, 10% of everything made went to CES. I was there from 1:00 - 4:00pm, talking with customers (and friends that I'd invited to come visit me), handing out the fliers I'd made, ect.

I had to park a little ways away, and decided to rollerblade in to the store. While enroute, I passed a mom and a little boy. He looked like he was in the 4-5 year-old range. When he saw me, he started to jump up and down because he was so excited. His mom told me that he was super excited to be able to rollerblade someday, and just loved it when he saw people doing it. I smiled at both of them and promised him that someday he would be able to. They walked away, but the boy kept looking back at me and smiling. He was just so darn cute.

I got so much joy out of that. And it was funny - that kid totally loved me, even though he didn't know anything about me. As far as he knew, I was a rollerblader and that was enough for him. I was totally cool in his book.

We do that with rockstars and celebrities - we put them up on pedestals and worship them, even though they're just regular people. A lot of people become rockstars and celebrities just to have people love them - they feed off that love, and take all they can get, often giving little in return. They do it because it fills a void.

But I think that there is a different reaction that you can have. When I recognized that that little boy was looking up to me, I was really honored. I knew that he didn't really know who I was - but it didn't matter. I really loved him. I would have rollerbladed myself in front of a car for him.

That's the reaction that God has toward us. Too often I feel like I need to be better... to do better... to try to prove that I love God. I often feel like I fail at loving God.

But while its true that we don't, and will probably never be able to, love God as God deserves to be loved, I think that God is indeed honored at what we give to Him. We can't even grasp the full charecter of who God really is, but what we do know and honor God for, God is truely delighted with.

I think that God looks at us and is completely in love with us for whatever we give Him. He loved us before we knew Him at all, and I think He's just delighted with however much we know Him now. And however much I would have given to that little child, how much more has God given to us - His dear children. He put Himself willingly in harm's way and died for us, to keep us safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home