Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

COLDPLAY



Last night I went to the Coldplay concert over at the Target Center. Though not as fun as Green Day, I was very impressed with Coldplay. I've liked their songs for a while now, and this was the first time I've seen them live.

The show started out with a band named Rilo Kiley, which I didn't like at all. I was bored with them, and annoyed by their sound. However, I personally know some people who like them, so I won't go on with this. Let's just say, there's music out there for everyone, and that's a good thing.

But I did like Coldplay a lot. Their songs have a genuine and authentic ring to them. They are about real-life issues that many people can realate to. They also have a beautiful, melodic tone to them. My favorite ones are "The Scientist" and "Yellow", although I heard a new one last night during the encore that I really liked. The name escapes me right now.

Visually, the show was quite stunning. Each song had different light effects that wowed the crowd. They also had a huge board behind them which did show lights, but also various live pictures of the band performing. They would show the band member playing in real life, then switch the immage to show the "negative" view of them, then the lights would flash irratically, it was quite something. They really had the technology working for them.

What I especially liked was the unified front that they showed about issues that matter to them. They were all on the same page: all wearing black clothes with white shoes, all really feeling the music they were playing. Coldplay is known for standing up for issues such as Free Trade without wavering, as well as the ability for people to go their own way and not bow to social norms. In an interview for USA Weekend, Chris Martin said "This is what we wanted to do - get married and have kids. Rock 'n' roll is really about not worrying what anyone else thinks." I like the fact that they seem to have some perspective on their lives, and what's important to them.

At the end of the show, they all linked arms and bowed in unison, as if to say "Thanks for coming out to see our show, we really appreciate it." It was a good reminder that it was just a show. These guys know that they aren't something to be worshiped, they are just regular guys who happen to be very muscially gifted. Their music is important to them, but so is real life. And we should remember that our real lives matter as well, and perhaps shouldn't be tossed aside in our minds as we fantasise about the glamour of rock stars. It would be good if we all could keep a perspective about who God is, who we are, and who everyone else is. I think it would go a long way in our ability to not judge others and live in harmony with each other.

So all in all, go see Coldplay if you get the chance. You won't be dissapointed. (But they weren't as fun as Green Day) :)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger renee said…

    I would venture to guess that you might have liked rilo kiley better if
    a: you knew some of the songs coming in
    b: they were not performing in a huge arena. this simply does not make any sense.

    you can rip on them all you want, though. i will still love them!

     
  • At 10:37 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I don't really want to rip on them...

    I had that thought too, that they would be better at a much smaller venue. They just didn't fit the space. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home