Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Hold'em and Art

Last night I joined a Texas Hold'em tournatment that my apartment building was having. Now, I don't really know how to play Hold'em, but I do know about poker. Its a family tradition for the family to gather around at each holiday and have my grandma clean us all out at poker. But, I had never played Hold'em.

I decided to play because the winner got $300 off their rent, and I'm extremely poor.

So, I walked in late because I had to go to my church afterwork and make their bulletins for them (dang selfless acts!) But it was cool - their were only five other people there, and they had just finished their tutorial round.

The playing field looked like this: To my right was a blond, sparkly girl who was the only other girl playing. Next to her was a man who looked just like Paul Giamatti , except with lighter hair. Then came a musscley guy, his blond roomate, and a middle-aged guy.

The roomate dropped out right away, soon followed by the sparkly girl. The next out was the middle-aged guy, followed by Paul Giamatti.

So, it was just me and the musscley guy. He had lots of chips, I had a moderate pile. I would have lost if I didn't win a few, but I was winning pretty consistanly, and had been throughout the whole game. But, he went "all in" on a hand, and I had to do the same to stay in that round. I pondered a bit, thinking that he was bluffing his hand. I had a guarenteed pair of fives, with no face cards showing on the table. I called his bluff, but he had a straight.

So I lost.

What really made me bet was that he said he just wanted to go home. We had already gone over a half-hour the scheduled time, so I felt bad and bet. Dang my kind and giving nature! (Not really, in real life I'm kind of a jerk.) :)

So, I got close to the money, but couldn't go the distance. Anyway, I think I did pretty good for it being my first time and all. Besides, I've established that I'm a chick who can play poker with the big boys. And that's really sexy.
_____________________________________________________

By the way, how would you like to be walking through a cemetery and see this:



Its an artistic piece that can be found in Forest Hills Cemetery. If I was walking through a cemetery and saw it, I'd instantly be curious and go see what it was. Ok, ok, I might be a little freaked out as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home