Day at the Office
Working in the inner-city ministry has its moments. Today, one man wrote a poem for us based on Psalm 30:3:
"O LORD, you brought me up from the grave;
you spared me from going down into the pit."
Here's his rendition (warning - strong language ahead):
--------------------------------------------
On a less funny note, a woman came in while I was on break and talked to my assistant director. She was seated when I came in, and they were praying. Afterwards, she got up and asked me to throw away her cup for her. I told her that there was a trash can right outside my door, in the main meeting area.
Then she turned her whole body without moving her neck, and hobbled out the door.
It turns out that while she was at work at the dollar store, a man came in and robbed her. Then, he shot her in the back of the head. Then he stomped on the back of her neck while she was on the floor.
But, come on - how was I supposed to know all of that?! People who give blood get those "Be nice to me, I gave blood today" stickers. There should be "Be nice to me, I got shot in the head today" stickers.
Anyway, she'll be alright - hopefully soon. She speaks slower than she did before, and has a metal rod in her neck. Please pray that she makes a full recovery.
"O LORD, you brought me up from the grave;
you spared me from going down into the pit."
Here's his rendition (warning - strong language ahead):
So happy am I, Lord you saved my soul from the pit
Cuz me and my life were so full of shit
Leaning up on my own understanding
I couldn't do what you were asking
Having the skills to roll phat blunts and do lines
I desired to get higher, make cash and acquire shiny rims and phat tires
I wanted to get rich
and have the baddest bitch
Having low morals,
I sat on my laurels
and stood on street corners selling death
Its so easy being greasy,
slimy and grimy
and ever so very devilishly simple for the wicked
to prey upon the afflicted
What the fuck!!?
I need my head kicked in.
After being shot at,
I dropped down and looked back
at the sinister game I played in.
Now I wonder why I stayed in (20,40,60,80,100; 20,40,60,80,100)
Yes, Lord, You saved my life from the pit
You allowed me to see a brighter day, a better way,
and I so much want to be a part of it.
All thanks and praise is due to the Most High and One True God, Father of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
--------------------------------------------
On a less funny note, a woman came in while I was on break and talked to my assistant director. She was seated when I came in, and they were praying. Afterwards, she got up and asked me to throw away her cup for her. I told her that there was a trash can right outside my door, in the main meeting area.
Then she turned her whole body without moving her neck, and hobbled out the door.
It turns out that while she was at work at the dollar store, a man came in and robbed her. Then, he shot her in the back of the head. Then he stomped on the back of her neck while she was on the floor.
But, come on - how was I supposed to know all of that?! People who give blood get those "Be nice to me, I gave blood today" stickers. There should be "Be nice to me, I got shot in the head today" stickers.
Anyway, she'll be alright - hopefully soon. She speaks slower than she did before, and has a metal rod in her neck. Please pray that she makes a full recovery.

5 Comments:
At 7:03 PM, December 07, 2005,
Atticus Pf said…
did you feel bad after you didn't throw away her coffee cup? was it white foam or starbucks?
At 10:56 AM, December 08, 2005,
Anonymous said…
I did feel bad. But, I immediately thought - well, should this be something that I should do for everyone who asks? Wouldn't that be the fair thing to do?
On one hand, there is a huge trash can that everyone has to walk past as they're leaving - so they could very easily throw things away themselvs.
But if, however, my taking their cup and throwing it away for them makes their life a little bit easier - it should be my honor to do it for them - to serve them.
I'm kind of jaded right now - when you work in the inner-city, people always try to take advantage of you - take you for all you're worth. I guess my guard is up against that, which is good. But, I tend to err on the "fair" side of not bending over backwards for them.
Serving is good, and something I desperately want to do. But, there can come a point where letting people use you is to their own detriment as well as yours. So, its a tricky line to walk.
But, I think I could have thrown out that lady's cup. But as I said, I didn't know she was hurt. She looked like a normal woman sitting in a chair.
At 10:57 AM, December 08, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Oh - and it was a medium sized cup from a fast food chain - a soda cup.
At 3:31 PM, December 08, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Clair,
Hey no problem - I enjoy reading your blog. :)
At 3:33 PM, December 08, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Oops - I meant "Claire"... sorry. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home