Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thinking outside the box


The other day, I was having a conversation with a friend. I don't remember what it was about. However, at one point, I remember her saying "Wow - it sure was great to be a kid. I remember taking one whole day and drawing rainbows in all sorts of different color patterns, like pink-white-purple-sparkles stuck in glue-blue-red."

Now, that really stuck with me because it got me thinking. When I was a kid, my mom taught me how to draw rainbows. For anyone who is unclear about this, let me straighten it out for you: the traditional color scheme of a rainbow is red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple. So, I would draw rainbows in exactly that way. NEVER ONCE did it occur to me to draw them with any other variations.

You see - I've always been this way. Even as a kid, I wanted to know and follow the rules. AS far as I was concerned there was never any grey area. Its black and white baby, either you do it the "right" way, or you're wrong.

Now, I was still a creative kid, but I was creative within the box of rules that I had to work with. I'd come up with a story about made up people. But, if there was a rainbow in that story, it would be the colors it was "supposed" to be.

The point? I just think its interesting to think about. I deeply apreciate my friends who can think outside the box. And while I may night get or even like a rainbow that completely made up of the color blue, I do apreciate the capacity some people to have to come up with it, as it will never be me.

I think that as people, we are designed to complement each other. A person with no rules will ultimately fail. But, the same can be said of a person with no creativity. I believe that we all have some of each in us, but the balance that's tipped in one way or the other can be compensated by the people around us who teach how to see the world the way that they do.

So, lets try to not be hard on each other when the 'rules' person is going off on some rant about how things aren't being done "right" or the 'creativity' person can't understand why you just won't turn on red when the sign clearly says "no turn on red". In the end, we'll all be better people.

10 Comments:

  • At 4:40 PM, December 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice! We'll be rebels one day yet, Claire. :)

     
  • At 9:54 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger chen said…

    I think boxes are good. Without a box, no one can say they are orignial. I think you are very creative, even if you draw accurately colored rainbows.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, December 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks Chen!

    Hey - we need to meet up again before Christmas. Do you have any time next week?

     
  • At 1:50 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger Jordan said…

    I thought "think outside the box" with a rainbow right below it was some kind of gay marriage thing. "Laura hasn't given into that nonsense, has she?" No...no she hasn't.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, December 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its such a shame that the rainbow has been forever changed from "God's promise" to "Gay marriage".

    Now, whenever a kid gives his father a drawing of a rainbow he's done, the dad is going to just sigh and immediately buy him Barbara Streisand albums.

     
  • At 9:39 PM, December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Laura, I too thought you were posting about some liberal meaning of the rainbow... Just to be sure, those who are truly famous in the world always are the ones that are thinking outside the box.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, December 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I see those speed monitors that tell you your speed in order to slow you down (as if your speedometer didn't work) I try to go as fast as I can to see how high a number I can get. The things get kinda crazy and start flashing your speed at you as if to say, "I see you speeding! I'm going to FLASH at you!" This is a fun exercise of breaking the rules in my opinion. The only problem is that I'm not very creative, except in my breaking the rules creativity.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, December 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahhh the wonderful example of why those speed-crap-o-meters don't work. I haven't seen one out in WA anywhere though...

     
  • At 4:10 PM, January 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ken - If I won't be the one changing the world, I'll just settle for being the wise-cracking side kick. As long as I get to use some sweet secret ninja moves. :)

     
  • At 4:12 PM, January 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris: I wonder, if you went fast enough, would the lights blink faster and faster until smoke started to billow from the top of the machine? That's what your new goal should be. (But only do it when Katie is not in the car).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home