Happy New Year!
This year, I began my New Year's Eve at a wedding. My boss' daughter decided to get married on New Year's Eve day. I got my invitation in December, so its not like I had to go or anything. But I thought it would be nice.
Generally, I like to attend weddings. Its like watching grown up people reinact Snow White. Lately, life has reassured me over and over again that not any of us are good, not even one. So, I thought it might improve my mood to attend, in the hopes that it would be a nice nod to the idea that its ok to believe in goodness and (hopefully) happily ever after. Its nice to get the feeling every once in a while that I'm actually not a fool for believing in magical things like miracles, or goodness, or love.
So, I went to the wedding, but couldn't stay for the reception. I had a party to get to! It was a "Fire and Ice" party, meaning you needed to dress up in "fire" colors (red, orange, gold) or "ice" colors (blue, white, and silver).
The party was hosted by a friend of a friend. I knew three people there, but we had fun. Besides the people I knew, the rest tended to lean more on the side of being... for lack of a better word... whore-ish. Not that I'm judging or anything, its just that I've found that I tend to not trust people who are just interested in "hooking up" for the night. Maybe its wrong of me, but I just don't think they have a very trustworthy character. But, at least everyone was really friendly. :)
At midnight, lots of guys came by and kissed me on the cheek, which I'm fine with. Cheek kisses are more of a warm hello than anything else (just a little something I've learned from my Mexican friends). I did score some points based on my major in college - which was a new one for me. One guy had come up to a group of three girls (including me), and the convo went something like this:
But, something must have struck his fancy. At midnight, (after he had just made out with a Brazilian girl with a huge chest) he came up to me and whispered into my ear:
I guess he underestimated just how big of a prude I am. He kept trying to manuver his face so that I'd end up kissing him on the lips. Finally, I had to just grab his face with my hand and force it over so that I could get to his cheek. Then he smiled and went on his way.
Hope your's went well too!
Generally, I like to attend weddings. Its like watching grown up people reinact Snow White. Lately, life has reassured me over and over again that not any of us are good, not even one. So, I thought it might improve my mood to attend, in the hopes that it would be a nice nod to the idea that its ok to believe in goodness and (hopefully) happily ever after. Its nice to get the feeling every once in a while that I'm actually not a fool for believing in magical things like miracles, or goodness, or love.
So, I went to the wedding, but couldn't stay for the reception. I had a party to get to! It was a "Fire and Ice" party, meaning you needed to dress up in "fire" colors (red, orange, gold) or "ice" colors (blue, white, and silver).
The party was hosted by a friend of a friend. I knew three people there, but we had fun. Besides the people I knew, the rest tended to lean more on the side of being... for lack of a better word... whore-ish. Not that I'm judging or anything, its just that I've found that I tend to not trust people who are just interested in "hooking up" for the night. Maybe its wrong of me, but I just don't think they have a very trustworthy character. But, at least everyone was really friendly. :)
At midnight, lots of guys came by and kissed me on the cheek, which I'm fine with. Cheek kisses are more of a warm hello than anything else (just a little something I've learned from my Mexican friends). I did score some points based on my major in college - which was a new one for me. One guy had come up to a group of three girls (including me), and the convo went something like this:
Guy: Hey ladies! And how are we doing tonight?
My friend: Oh, just fine. How are you doing?
Guy: Oh, I was just getting crap for being an Anthropology major from some people over there. Everyone always says that being an anthro major is so dorky! You guys probably don't even know what I'm talking about. You probably think I dig up dinosaur bones or something. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Me: Well actually, that would make you a paleontologist.
Guy: ....... oh. Do you know about anthropology?
Me: Yes - its was my major in college.
My friend: But she's graduated.
Guy: Oh, what are you doing now?
Me: I work in inner-city ministry.
Guy: ....... oh.
But, something must have struck his fancy. At midnight, (after he had just made out with a Brazilian girl with a huge chest) he came up to me and whispered into my ear:
Guy (slurry voice): You're the one I really wanted...
Me (in a sarcastic tone, but still trying to sound nice): I'm flattered.
Guy: There's still time, you know...
Me: I'll kiss you on the cheek.
Guy: Aw jeez.
I guess he underestimated just how big of a prude I am. He kept trying to manuver his face so that I'd end up kissing him on the lips. Finally, I had to just grab his face with my hand and force it over so that I could get to his cheek. Then he smiled and went on his way.
Hope your's went well too!

4 Comments:
At 4:01 PM, January 04, 2006,
chen said…
I like your post. It was really fun to read.
And I still believe in love and other good things.
At 4:08 PM, January 04, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Good. That's why we're going to live together, Chen. I envision many chick-flick movie nights in our future. :)
At 4:47 PM, January 05, 2006,
Jordan said…
Funny post, Laura. I'm glad you had a good time despite the...man-whores. If it's any reassurance I still believe in love and good things too. But I don't like chick flicks. Still, I'm glad you have people with which to indulge such interests.
I thought I had work to do today but then found out I don't.
At 1:25 AM, January 07, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Ken sez that if Kenny can find love, so can you.
Post a Comment
<< Home