Goals
The first goal I remember having as a child was to grow my hair out as long as Crystal Gayle's.


A rather girly goal, to be sure. Yet, I was satisfied with it. I grew my hair out until it was almost as tall as I was. Granted, I was six at the time, so that wasn't all that much hair because I was short. Yet, I was proud that I'd accomplished my goal. I lived with it for a while, then I think my parents made me cut it. I don't really remember who's idea it was to cut it: mine or theirs. I didn't care either way. I had it in my head that I'd look prettier with a new look.
This is all not to say that I choose goals that are easily met with the least work possible. I mean really, how difficult or challenging is it to grow hair. You could be in a coma and accomplish that goal. (In fact, that should be everyone in a coma's New Year's resolution: to grow out their hair. At least everyone would be able to meet their goal. Then they'd feel good enough to go after a secondary goal, like waking up.) No, I say it to illustrate how I delight in setting goals and achieving them. If the goal is relevant to my life, I'll make it happen.
With the new year, and my birthday fast approaching, I tend to re-assess my goals. Two years ago, I was ice-skating with a few friends on my birthday, and someone asked me what my New Year's Resultion was. I think that resultions are simple a means to getting what you want. If you want to be healthier, your resulution might be to loose weight or quite smoking. At the time, I didn't know how to get anything of the things I wanted, but I defenately wanted some things. Here's what my goals were two years ago:
-Have solid, lasting friendships
-Have a job that I liked and found worthwile
-Be financially secure
-That my family would be financially secure
-Be seriously dating someone I liked
Not bad stuff, to be sure. Last year, I didn't make any new goals because I was still working on the old ones. Currently, I have some very strong, solid friendships that I treasure, I have a job that is making me more financially secure, but its probably not what I should be doing forever. I'm not seeing anyone, but my Grandma said I can't get married for two more years - so at least I have an excuse.
Right now, I don't know if I have any specific goals. My goals are more abstract. I'd like to love other people better - seek out their best interests instead of my own. And, I like to act in such a way that shows my security and freedom. In the last year, I've lost a little bit of my awe and wonder, and I'd like to relcaim that. I guess I'll never have a resolution, as I never have a plan of attack on what I want. I'll just have to stick with praying about it and trusting in God. And, maybe someday I'll have something to specifically work towards again. :)

A rather girly goal, to be sure. Yet, I was satisfied with it. I grew my hair out until it was almost as tall as I was. Granted, I was six at the time, so that wasn't all that much hair because I was short. Yet, I was proud that I'd accomplished my goal. I lived with it for a while, then I think my parents made me cut it. I don't really remember who's idea it was to cut it: mine or theirs. I didn't care either way. I had it in my head that I'd look prettier with a new look.
This is all not to say that I choose goals that are easily met with the least work possible. I mean really, how difficult or challenging is it to grow hair. You could be in a coma and accomplish that goal. (In fact, that should be everyone in a coma's New Year's resolution: to grow out their hair. At least everyone would be able to meet their goal. Then they'd feel good enough to go after a secondary goal, like waking up.) No, I say it to illustrate how I delight in setting goals and achieving them. If the goal is relevant to my life, I'll make it happen.
With the new year, and my birthday fast approaching, I tend to re-assess my goals. Two years ago, I was ice-skating with a few friends on my birthday, and someone asked me what my New Year's Resultion was. I think that resultions are simple a means to getting what you want. If you want to be healthier, your resulution might be to loose weight or quite smoking. At the time, I didn't know how to get anything of the things I wanted, but I defenately wanted some things. Here's what my goals were two years ago:
-Have solid, lasting friendships
-Have a job that I liked and found worthwile
-Be financially secure
-That my family would be financially secure
-Be seriously dating someone I liked
Not bad stuff, to be sure. Last year, I didn't make any new goals because I was still working on the old ones. Currently, I have some very strong, solid friendships that I treasure, I have a job that is making me more financially secure, but its probably not what I should be doing forever. I'm not seeing anyone, but my Grandma said I can't get married for two more years - so at least I have an excuse.
Right now, I don't know if I have any specific goals. My goals are more abstract. I'd like to love other people better - seek out their best interests instead of my own. And, I like to act in such a way that shows my security and freedom. In the last year, I've lost a little bit of my awe and wonder, and I'd like to relcaim that. I guess I'll never have a resolution, as I never have a plan of attack on what I want. I'll just have to stick with praying about it and trusting in God. And, maybe someday I'll have something to specifically work towards again. :)

6 Comments:
At 11:44 AM, January 09, 2006,
Jordan said…
I know what you mean about abstract goals. Let me know if you have any profound thoughts regarding that. Abstract goals are probably fine...that's what I tell myself...but at the same time it is difficult to measure success in a lot of abstract goals.
At 12:40 PM, January 09, 2006,
Anonymous said…
You can kill someone with hair that long.
At 10:56 AM, January 10, 2006,
Jordan said…
But you could also save someone with hair that long.
At 11:18 AM, January 10, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Both true - however I never had to worry about it when I was six. No one living or dying depended upon my hair, and I think that's a good thing. :)
Jordan: Abstract goals can be just as difficult to attain as regular goals, and may still need a plan of attack to get to them. If your goal is loving other people better (for example), you're still able to recognize the where you're at, and where you want to get to - just like any concrete goal. The process is what's more fuzzy, and therefore your progress is more difficult to ascertain. But, since we have God who is ultimately wise and powerful, we can pray to be more loving, and try (and probably fail) every day to be that more loving person. And the great part is that we always have hope that it can happen. With other goals, like being a doctor (for example) the progress is easy to gage, (you either get into med school or not, do the work or not, ect.)but once you run out of options, you're out out luck.
At 3:43 PM, January 10, 2006,
chen said…
Everyone needs to stop using big words. I can't comprehend it. Simple words for simple folks, please.
At 4:10 PM, January 10, 2006,
Anonymous said…
I heard the word "ubiquitous" in a commercial today. Well, whatever takes us away from that damn hiphop drivel is a good thing. Some days, I just don't think I can stand hearing "We be partying tonight!" or "He done said that" or "Where you at?" Whenever I hear someone say things like that (I work in the inner city) I automatically feel sorry for them for being uneducated. Maybe that's not good to think....
Post a Comment
<< Home