Kids aren't all bad.
So last night I decided to babysit a couple little girls instead of go to church. Now, babysitting isn't really something I like to do. I'm not what you'd call a "natural" at it. I like kids and all, but I'm not what you call real "motherly". One of the reasons I say that is because I really hate when grown adults walk up to a kid and start using falsely enthusiastic "baby talk". Even as a kid it always sounded really degrading to me.
That being said, I needed the money. This particular job was at the church that I work at but don't go to. There was a big event going on, so someone needed to watch the kids. Half-way through the night, I was helping one four year-old girl practice writing her letters out. An older woman walked up to us while we were doing this and said (in her most baby talk-ish voice she could muster):
"Oh hiiiiii there little one! Guess whaaaat?!?! I know your graaaaandpa and graaaaandma! Do you know thaaaaat?!?! I know your graaaaandpa and graaaandma!!!"
The little girl looked at her, and then looked at me and asked:
"Laura, how do you spell "yuck"?
Now I knew I liked this kid. Trying to hold back my tremendous glee, I obliged her, because I believe that education is important. Later on in the night, another parishioner came up to us and said:
"Heeeeeey there cutie! You know whaaaaat?! Your mommy and daddy are really special people! Yeeeeeesssss they are! They are reaaaaaaaly special!!!"
This time the little girl looked at him, then immediately looked at me and asked:
"Laura, how do you spell "gross"?
I'm not making this up, and I couldn't have been happier. I'd definitely sit this kid any day of the week. No doubt.
____________________________________
And for Mark and Mike:
That being said, I needed the money. This particular job was at the church that I work at but don't go to. There was a big event going on, so someone needed to watch the kids. Half-way through the night, I was helping one four year-old girl practice writing her letters out. An older woman walked up to us while we were doing this and said (in her most baby talk-ish voice she could muster):
"Oh hiiiiii there little one! Guess whaaaat?!?! I know your graaaaandpa and graaaaandma! Do you know thaaaaat?!?! I know your graaaaandpa and graaaandma!!!"
The little girl looked at her, and then looked at me and asked:
"Laura, how do you spell "yuck"?
Now I knew I liked this kid. Trying to hold back my tremendous glee, I obliged her, because I believe that education is important. Later on in the night, another parishioner came up to us and said:
"Heeeeeey there cutie! You know whaaaaat?! Your mommy and daddy are really special people! Yeeeeeesssss they are! They are reaaaaaaaly special!!!"
This time the little girl looked at him, then immediately looked at me and asked:
"Laura, how do you spell "gross"?
I'm not making this up, and I couldn't have been happier. I'd definitely sit this kid any day of the week. No doubt.
____________________________________
And for Mark and Mike:

6 Comments:
At 3:29 PM, November 13, 2007,
renee said…
omygosh
i am laughing out loud like an idiot at the purple onion.
At 4:14 PM, November 13, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
I aim to please, Renee. :)
At 12:22 AM, November 14, 2007,
Mark said…
Laura, you are very motherly. And seriously, that lady had her cat up on the counter while she was rolling dough and she let it paw away at her food. That is gross. Cats lick their butts and they lick their paws, so their paws should never touch your food.
At 10:52 AM, November 14, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Mark,
You're right. That cat might as well have just scooted around on that dough. Geez.
:)
At 11:48 AM, November 19, 2007,
Colleen said…
That's flippin hilarious. good work.
At 1:29 PM, November 19, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home