Life and Death: The Baby Bunny
A person can have many different titles. Take me, for example. I am a self-proclaimed "city gal". I love shops and clubs, theater and sports, concerts and cultural events. I've lived in a major city for nearly all of my adult life, and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. Along with this title comes very little contact with "outdoorsy" kind of things, like wild animals. Sure I love fishing, camping and the like, but thses things are always done withing very controlled conditions. So, you can imaging my surprise last night when I happened to notice somehthing hop up and bump into my bedroom window.
I currently live in the basement apartment of a large Uptown house, so my windows are all egress windows. So, thinking something may have been trapped in my window well, I sauntered over to take a look. Here's what I found:
As you can see, it's a poor little baby bunny who was far too short to escape his egress prision. When I went over to see him, he hoped right up to the window and put his cute little paw on the pane. This little guy needed help. He needed... a hero. I had to take action.
Now, normal people would probably just have reached down in there, picked the bunny up and let it go. That was my first plan of attack, but as I aproached, the bunny decided to freak out and hop around all fast and stuff. And being an aforementioned city gal, this scared the crap out of me. I don't get it - didn't we have a moment back there by the window, bunny? Didn't we make a connection??
At this point I thought about calling one of my friends over to help out with this daring rescue. But then I thought again. "Come on Ibs," I thought, "not only is this a bunny rabbit, one of the meekest creatures God ever created, but it's a baby bunny on top of it! It's nature's pansy, and you're scared of it. Get it together - let's make this happen!"
Armed with my newfound determitation, a United States Postal Service mail bin and a Green Bay Packers cutting board (go Pack!), I reved up and headed back out to the front lines.


Using a stepstool to angle myself down into the window well, I began trying to finesse the bunny into the mail bin so I could safely lift it out. It was at this point that several people decided to walk past my house in some misguided effort to enjoy the day or something, and I realized that I proably looked like I was trying to break into the house rather than save a life. I also probably looked quite crazy as I had taken to trying to calm the bunny down with soothing words and various vocal sounds. But, apart from some very strange looks, no one took the time to come find out what I was doing. Great - I feel real safe now.
But no matter! I was dedicated to the project no matter what the neighbors might think. After a few minutes, I did manage to get the bunny in the mail bin and use the cutting board to trap it in there until I could get to higher ground to release it. It sure was a cute little bugger:


I climbed back up out of the window well and successfully reentered the bunny back into the wild's of Uptown. He hopped away without even a thank you, but that's ok. I don't need gratitude. I'm a winner. And now, along with "city gal" I can also add the title of "hero". Cheers.
I currently live in the basement apartment of a large Uptown house, so my windows are all egress windows. So, thinking something may have been trapped in my window well, I sauntered over to take a look. Here's what I found:
As you can see, it's a poor little baby bunny who was far too short to escape his egress prision. When I went over to see him, he hoped right up to the window and put his cute little paw on the pane. This little guy needed help. He needed... a hero. I had to take action.
Now, normal people would probably just have reached down in there, picked the bunny up and let it go. That was my first plan of attack, but as I aproached, the bunny decided to freak out and hop around all fast and stuff. And being an aforementioned city gal, this scared the crap out of me. I don't get it - didn't we have a moment back there by the window, bunny? Didn't we make a connection??
At this point I thought about calling one of my friends over to help out with this daring rescue. But then I thought again. "Come on Ibs," I thought, "not only is this a bunny rabbit, one of the meekest creatures God ever created, but it's a baby bunny on top of it! It's nature's pansy, and you're scared of it. Get it together - let's make this happen!"
Armed with my newfound determitation, a United States Postal Service mail bin and a Green Bay Packers cutting board (go Pack!), I reved up and headed back out to the front lines.
Using a stepstool to angle myself down into the window well, I began trying to finesse the bunny into the mail bin so I could safely lift it out. It was at this point that several people decided to walk past my house in some misguided effort to enjoy the day or something, and I realized that I proably looked like I was trying to break into the house rather than save a life. I also probably looked quite crazy as I had taken to trying to calm the bunny down with soothing words and various vocal sounds. But, apart from some very strange looks, no one took the time to come find out what I was doing. Great - I feel real safe now.
But no matter! I was dedicated to the project no matter what the neighbors might think. After a few minutes, I did manage to get the bunny in the mail bin and use the cutting board to trap it in there until I could get to higher ground to release it. It sure was a cute little bugger:
I climbed back up out of the window well and successfully reentered the bunny back into the wild's of Uptown. He hopped away without even a thank you, but that's ok. I don't need gratitude. I'm a winner. And now, along with "city gal" I can also add the title of "hero". Cheers.

8 Comments:
At 9:25 AM, August 17, 2007,
Mike said…
I prefer to imaging this is a regular sized bunny and you have a HUGE egress window with a bolder in it. You also have a gigantic box.
At 10:38 AM, August 17, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Ok... imagine whatever you want. :|
At 11:50 AM, August 24, 2007,
Colleen said…
My dog is not a bunny hero. He's a nice pup - but a little stupid. So he found a nest of baby bunnies, and really wanted to play with them. He couldn't figure out why when he started "playing" with them, they - one by one - started to not react.
My mom came to look at the bunny nest a couple hours later, and found them all dead. Killed by my dumb dog that thought he coudl play with baby bunnies the size of his foot.
Murderer
At 3:12 PM, August 24, 2007,
Mark said…
"I love shops and clubs, theater and sports, concerts and cultural events."
Laura, I love how we are so opposite and yet are still able to be friends. Maybe it's just because we like sports!
And colleen, just looking at the end of your post makes it look like someone signed off as Murderer. That's the first thing I saw. Maybe I should start reading things from the top down.
At 12:29 AM, August 27, 2007,
Sam said…
I'm glad you were there to save the little guy. Now maybe one day, the bunnies will help you in your time of need.
At 7:25 PM, August 27, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Colleen - your dog just has too much love to give. Perhaps you could train him to only "play" with things of your choosing. Then he could be an assasin.
At 7:26 PM, August 27, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Mike - wait, you don't like that stuff? What stuff do you like? Country stuff, like mud, corn and guns?
At 7:27 PM, August 27, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Sam - yes. The bunnies definitely owe me one now. I hit a racoon once with my car - perhaps the bunny army will rise up and fight the racoon army when they come for me. Excellent.
Post a Comment
<< Home