Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I'm not trying to sound weirdly whimsical, but...

Last night I had a really great night. I had a rare moment of complete contentment. Now, I actually consider myself to be a pretty content person, most days. I atribute this to not having any tangible goals in life. I've never had any certain job I needed to work at or countries I needed to live in. Even as a kid, when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I never had an answer. And while this has it's downside of leading to a rather directionless life, it also leads to apreciating current situations to the fullest extent. True, I do have my moments of wondering if I'll someday have regrets of never having accomplished anything "big" or having a grand purpose to my life, but if you'd ask me whether or not I was happy, I'd probably say yes.

But of course, there are things that I do want that I don't yet have. Thinking back towards childhood, it's true that I wouldn't have been able to answer you if you'd asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. Its true that I never dreamed of working anywhere in particular or living in any particular places. What I did dream about, though, was the kind of relationships I'd have throughout my life. Even as a little kid I'd think about what my friends would be like and what my husband would be like and what I'd be like with them. So, I guess my only real tangible goal in life is to be a great person and be surrounded by great people. Good or bad, I guess it's what I've always measured my life by.

So, last night a bunch of us were up at Stella's Fish Cafe in Uptown, Minneapolis to celebrate a friend's birthday. And it was just perfect: It was a warm August evening on a lovely rooftop, under the stars in Minneapolis - my favorite city in the world - while great music played in the background. And, I was surrounded by some of the best people I've ever known. There was no where else I'd rather have been then right there, right then. And I really felt greatful, and greatful that I was able to recognize that as well. It was a really good night.

Here are a couple pics:









2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home