Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sigh....


Its almost my birthday. I'll be turning 26 on the 26th - one week from today. Yup - golden. I remember thinking that I'd never get to 26. As a kid, my golden birthday seemed so incredibly far away. My little sister had hers when she was ten. Jerk. I mean, it just wasn't fair - she was "the pretty one" AND she got to have a golden birthday. Sigh. But, now its finally my turn.

"Am I excited?" you ask me. Not really. Sorry to burst your bubble after that big build-up. This is going to be one of those posts that makes everyone think I'm a negative and forelorn person. In reality, I can be quite spunky and fun to be around - whinny blog posts notwithstanding.

You see, my problem is that I've always felt like birthdays are a lot of pressure. I'm not talking about any sort of "where am I going" or "what am I really doing with my life" crisis. I'm content that I'm doing what I should be at this time, and that God will take me to where I need to go as long as I've got my eyes open and am willing to act. I'm content with who I am and with my life. Of course I want things, but I have a lot of hope for the future.

No - to me, birthdays are more like "go time". Its like being in the superbowl, about to kick a field goal that's going to either win or lose the game for you. Its a lot of pressure, and you'd almost rather stay at home than risk blowing it. But, the rewards of making the field goal and winning the game exceed the fear of messing it up.

Think about it - to pull off a successful birthday, you need to contemporaneously, find something to do that is fun for various groups of people that you know from different places. You have to put it all together, try to get everything to run smoothly, and try to make sure everyone has someone to talk to and is having a good time, and hope that what you're doing is actually something people want to do. You need to answer everyone's questions, make sure no one gets lost on the way to the party, make sure there are reservations, parking, and enough time to pull it off, make sure that it isn't too expensive for people, etc.

Suddenly, the whole night speaks volumes about who you are for some reason. And that's where the real pressure comes in. Whether or not people are having a good time reflects on you. Hell, whether or not people show up, or actually want to be there reflects on you - who you are, what contributions you've made, etc. And that sucks.

I just don't like all of that attention. That isn't to say that I don't like my points getting across or anything like that. I hate it when peope ignore me or act like what I say doesn't matter. I like things to be even. I like to be in the middle of things - not forgotten, but not in the spotlight either. I like to blend in with the crowd, yet be a unique part of what makes up the crowd.

You may ask, "But Laura, how is it that you can MC a group or speak at functions?" Well, I'm glad you asked. You see, speaking in front of people is not really that difficult for me, because I'm usually speaking on a topic of some sort. I know what I need to say, and how to say it effectively. I'm not really putting myself out there - I'm putting information out there. What I'm saying doesn't determine my value.

So, you're probably now asking, "But Laura, why don't you just not have a party if its so weird for you." The truth is, I love people, I love my friends, and I would much rather hang out with them than anything else. I'm just secretly a people-pleaser at heart, so what I'm mostely worried about is being a burdon on everyone else with my birthday.

If you like being in the middle, its safe to say that its much easier and/or safer to hide in the crowd than have all the attention on you. But then again, you'd never win the big game if you run back to the locker room and go out and take a chance and kick the damn field goal. And to me, being able to spend time with my friends is worth the chance that everything could go wrong and reflect negatively on me. And, lets face it - I just need to trust that people will consider it a joy to celebrate my birthday with me - no matter what happens. I probably just need to relax.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:52 AM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Calm down foo. I'm turning 27 AND I'm having a child in September.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Wow...I never thought about all the little things necessary to put together a successful birthday party. I'm really glad Cristina assembled my last one for me...and I never even suggested it. What a dear. Most of the ones before that were spent in science labs. How does that reflect on a person in comparison to having an unsuccessful birthday party? If it makes you feel any better, Laura, I suspect that most guys are like me at least in how we've never actually thought about all these things before...which means people like me will show up and will be glad to be there and won't really think about the little things. Don't worry.

    I'm sad I won't be able to join you.

    Congratulations on the kid, Ken.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ken! You're pregnant?! Congratulations! You're going to be an awesome dad - really!

    Jordan - thanks. I know that I'm just acting paranoid. I'm always happy to go to people's birthdays, and really flattered that they invited me. I think that the stress for me happens because I don't just hang out with one group of people. Its always weird bringing all of your groups together.

    I think that my scale of a successful/unsuccessful birthday is probably different from yours. I have an idea that you were probably perfectly fine spending your bithday in a lab, so therefore it was a success for you.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Ohh, good point about the oddness of bringing multiple groups of people together. Isn't it kind of nice to have that problem though? It means that you've integrated with different kinds of people. That's probably what we're supposed to be doing, I don't know. So good job.

    And just to correct things: no, I was not ok being stuck in a lab on my birthdays. It was depressing. But you do what you have to do. Also I'm the kind of guy who probably wouldn't ever organize something for my own birthday, so that played a role too. And that's why it means a lot that people would care enough to organize something on my behalf. I don't know what most people like to do for fun...so organizing activities is not a strength of mine. You seem to do well with it though. Is it a gift?

     
  • At 2:41 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger chen said…

    First:
    KEN CHAU, CONGRATULATIONS! If are ever back in MN again and need someone to babysit, let me know--I'm totally in. (By the way, I like the fact that even after you married our name still rhymns (sp?).

    Second:
    I love you and think it's neat that you are confidant enough to tell people that you spend your birthdays in a science lab. It takes a big man to admit that he is friendless (although as of now, no longer loveless).

    Third:
    Laura, you host wonderful parties and I am hoping to make it to yours. I have tickets to Les Mes for that day, but I should be out and about afterwards. You have wonderful friends and I'm sure we'll all be there to help you make your field goal.

    Fourth:
    Birthdays are kind of crappy, but so are all other holidays. I swear, it's around those times that you start to evaluate your friendships and such and most often it always seems like something tragic happens that makes you think that day is not going to turn out. It's gotta be a law or something (maybe Murphy's?). But it's usually all in your head (or mine).

    Lastly:
    I'm in a very loving mood right now so I LOVE YOU to everyone!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger chen said…

    Oops, the 2nd comment was for Jordan.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jordan - Organizing fun activities is not so much a gift, as it is a side effect of living for the now instead of living for the future. I have no idea what I'll be doing at this time next year, but I'm having fun in the process.

    I think you tend to live more for the future - so you are able to sacrifice fun and friends to go live in the land of death and despair. You're stronger than I am - I could never do it. But then again, I've always been rather directionless - what choice do I have but to live for now?

    Come back to Minnesota whenever you have a birthday and I guarentee that you'll never spend another birthday alone again. I promise we'll get something organized here (although being careful to stay away from any carnivals or fairs).

     
  • At 3:33 PM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chen -

    So, you're saying that birthdays and holidays are all high school dances all over again. I can see that. :)

    I love you too chen! You'd better swing by after Les Mes (of which I'm jealous, by the way). The party don't start 'till Chen walks in!

    PS. Were you expecting Ken to change his name?

     
  • At 7:06 PM, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's your golden b-day!! MY golden b-day was on the 21st - quite literally my golden age :)

     
  • At 10:48 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    "I think you tend to live more for the future - so you are able to sacrifice fun and friends to go live in the land of death and despair. You're stronger than I am - I could never do it. But then again, I've always been rather directionless - what choice do I have but to live for now?"

    Interesting observation, Laura. Though I'm very much directionless as well. Hmmm.... Maybe I should hire you to be my psychoanalyst. I was bored in church once and wrote down this thought I had about how working hard toward a future can cause a person to keep deferring and putting off fun until it gets to the point where he no longer remembers how to have it.

    Thanks for the birthday offer. Will you be an official Birthday Party Organization Consultant for me?

     
  • At 12:56 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jordan - I remember that day at church! It was the only time I'd been to Bethlehem in like three years (because its always so boring on the days that I'm there). But, I remember your observations because you told me after when we were driving to Pannechueken (or however you spell that) for breakfast/lunch.

    I think that its really good to self-analyize - I'm quite the expert at it for myself. But, I haven't really branched out to doing it for other people yet.

    Sure - I'll be your "Birthday Pary and Psychoanalyst Consultant". For an extra fee, I'll also throw in "Fun Finder". I figure it'll be quite lucrative once your career takes off, whatever that happens to be. Until then, I'll just consider you Pro Bono. :)

    PS. Are you going to a church right now in Boston?

     
  • At 1:40 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Thanks Laura, I feel privileged! Yes, I had forgotten what day that was (because that wasn't the first time I started writing down unrelated things in church). But I remember our fun trip to Panakoeken with you and some of the Manvel gang.

    Oh and no, I'm not going to a church in Boston at the moment. I went to a couple when I got here. I've located another one I want to try though, so maybe next Sun. I'll be a church-goer again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home