Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Cops!

So, I was driving away from my apartment the other day, and had a little trouble. When you leave my house, there are two left turning lanes to get onto Highway 7 - a 45 MPH highway with stoplights. You know the type.

So, I was in the right left turning lane, and a St. Louis Park police officer was in the left left turning lane. We both turned when the light changed to green. Now, I have a pretty quick acceleration - not the car, just me stomping on the gas pedal whenever the light turns green - so I was a bit ahead of the cop. All the while, I made sure to stay under the obligitory 45 mph. As we drove along, I approached a car in my lane going about 35 mph. He must have been scared of the cop (pansy). So, I moved into the other lane and began to pass him - the cop being the next car behind me, yet still pretty far back.

So as I said, I'm passing the slower car in the right lane, but still under the speed limit. The next thing I know, I look into my rear-view mirror and see that the cop has SPED up behind me, but without his lights on. Now I'm confused - I haven't sped yet - I know because I put my cruise on. So now, I have a choice to make: do I stay below the speed limit and be in the cop's way, or do I speed up to quickly get passed the car to my right and get out of the way???

I opted to speed up to get out of the cops way - you never know, there could be some emergency somehwere and this dipwad could not know how to work his lights. I pass the slow car (now speeding, but the cop made me do it!), and we come up to a stop light. The cop hasn't passed me yet - or turned on his lights - he's still in his lane, next to my lane. He's now decided to slow down to match my speed. We stop at the light. I'm two or three cars back from the front. The cop then decides to stop his car right alongside mine - even though there are no other cars in front of him. Can you picture it? There are two or three carlengths of empty space ahead of him.

At this point - I'm afraid to look over and make eye contact, even though I haven't done anything wrong yet. I mean, what the hell is this guy's problem?!?

Now, I've been pulled over and hit on my cops before. One time, I actually was speeding, and a cop pulled me over. He gave me his number. I'd never been pulled over in Minnesota before (I'm from Wisconsin originally), and I though that that was maybe just how it worked in MN. When I got to where I was going to, my friends informed me that I had been hit on. I personally think its an abuse of power.

I thought that maybe, that was what was happening here. For all I know, he could have just been pissed that I didn't bow before him and go 30 mph instead of the speed limit. All in all, I was just pissed that this guy made me worried and nervous even though I hadn't done anything wrong. I guess now I know how Rodney King feels.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, January 17, 2006, Blogger renee said…

    and the funny thing is that there's an 85% chance that it wasn't even a traffic cop and he was actually just trying to get from one place to another, just like you. somehow they still make us nervous...

     
  • At 11:43 PM, January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Foo, you were just on a COPS episode!

     
  • At 10:33 AM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Next on COPS... Minneapolis:

    A girl drives down the street in her car - minding her own business and staying within the law.

    Officer: Yeah, when you work a job like this, you see all kinds of weird stuff. Its a dangerous job, I won't lie to you. Look at this gal here... yeah, she's up to something. I'm going to run her plates.

    Ok, so, she has no record, the car isn't stolen, and she isn't wanted for anything. I'm just going to run her down, then pull up beside her and stare at her. We call that "keeping 'em honest".

     
  • At 12:37 PM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    laura you're hilarious! you SHOULD marry a cop :)

     
  • At 2:24 PM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I should marry a cop because they hit on me and I mock them? Hmmm... the men who fit that discription throughout the years are flashing through my mind... Wow - the grandure of it all...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home