Tornado
If you spend any time with me, you'll come to know that I am a person who likes to have a plan. I'm a planner - its just who I am. I like being a planner, because it gets things done. I remember all the details and always know what I have to do when. It enables me to be a loyal person, and usually never let anyone down.
The down-side comes when planning becomes more of a need than a preference. Sometimes I just feel lost without a plan. I get bored and lonely (also being very extroverted) very easily if I don't have something to do. Don't get me wrong, I like having chill nights where I can clean my place, do laundry, and watch TV... I just like to plan for them and not have them just happen.
While this issue usually just affects me, sometimes it does spill over into being a burden on other people. Last night was a good example of that:
Last night I was at the Upperroom. There were people that I needed to talk to and I was flying around trying to get to everone. I had tentative plans with a few friends, that I (being me) wanted to finalize. Now, I also knew that I had a bunch of days this week where I wasn't doing anything as well, especially with Memorial Day weekend upon us. That's a pretty scary prospect for me. Well, I connected with one group and we were trying to decide whether to go dancing tonight or tomorrow night (we decided on Tuesday). Then, we were trying to discuss what we were doing right after church (there's always three or four different groups of people going different places), and I asked if anyone had plans for Memorial Day weekend yet, and someone else asked if anyone wanted to go see the Lion King on a different day.... I'm sure that anyone who doesn't have all of their plans for everyday laid out in their heads was very confused and frustrated. Sigh. I must have just seemed like a whirling tornado last night. Anyway, now I have plans for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. There's still a big, scary weekend looming in the near future, but I'm sure I'll be fine by the Grace of God :) But, if anyone knows of anything going on......
The down-side comes when planning becomes more of a need than a preference. Sometimes I just feel lost without a plan. I get bored and lonely (also being very extroverted) very easily if I don't have something to do. Don't get me wrong, I like having chill nights where I can clean my place, do laundry, and watch TV... I just like to plan for them and not have them just happen.
While this issue usually just affects me, sometimes it does spill over into being a burden on other people. Last night was a good example of that:
Last night I was at the Upperroom. There were people that I needed to talk to and I was flying around trying to get to everone. I had tentative plans with a few friends, that I (being me) wanted to finalize. Now, I also knew that I had a bunch of days this week where I wasn't doing anything as well, especially with Memorial Day weekend upon us. That's a pretty scary prospect for me. Well, I connected with one group and we were trying to decide whether to go dancing tonight or tomorrow night (we decided on Tuesday). Then, we were trying to discuss what we were doing right after church (there's always three or four different groups of people going different places), and I asked if anyone had plans for Memorial Day weekend yet, and someone else asked if anyone wanted to go see the Lion King on a different day.... I'm sure that anyone who doesn't have all of their plans for everyday laid out in their heads was very confused and frustrated. Sigh. I must have just seemed like a whirling tornado last night. Anyway, now I have plans for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. There's still a big, scary weekend looming in the near future, but I'm sure I'll be fine by the Grace of God :) But, if anyone knows of anything going on......

2 Comments:
At 9:59 AM, May 24, 2005,
Bethany said…
Laura:
Maybe the key to this weekend is not finding something to do/somewhere to go...but taking advantage of the free time God has given you and finding how you can spend some Quality Time with Him. Just a thought! :)
At 10:31 AM, May 24, 2005,
Laura Ibsen said…
That's a good thought. I do have plans now, but there'll still be time to connect with God. I really haven't been spending enough time with Him lately. I think about Him and pray to Him during the day, just as life happens, and we have a Bible study each day at work. But I'd like to set aside time each day for concentrated prayer, journaling, and time alone with Him.
Post a Comment
<< Home