Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Cowboy Troy

The possibility was discussed the other day that country-rap might be the next big thing. I can't really think of a worse combination in music, and thought "no way, that'll never happen".

Oh how wrong I was. On the Jay Leno show last night, the musical guest was a country act called "Cowboy Troy". He was a black man wearing cowboy boots and hat, with a country band behind him, all of them white. The song he was singing (called "I play chicken with the train" by the way) was made up almost entirely of rap lyrics. Cowboy Troy would rap for a while, a fiddle jamming behind him, and then he would stop for an instrumental break. During the breaks, he would do some sort of robot-esque dance remenicent of Elaine on Sienfeld. He'd wiggle his hips, then jerk his body around in a circle. At one point, he even stood in one place and just violently shook his entire body. When the song ended, he stood still and put both arms in the air in a gangsta "step off" pose and yelled "you want some of this?!" at the crowd.

I found out later that this new type of hip-hop has been dubbed "hick-hop".... uh huh.

I apologise to any die-hard Cowboy Troy fans out there. Write in and let me know why you like his style of music, therefore allowing me to maybe appreciate it too. This being my self-entitled Country Music Appreciation series, I'd really like to know.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Bethany said…

    Well Laura, whereas I am not a fan of Cowboy Troy, I can appreciate his combination of music. You will find that he started off with Big & Rich, makes some appearance in their songs. He is part of the Muzik Mafia crowd...www.muzikmafia.com...Which is causing a stir all over the country music scene. However, we will openly welcome CT and others who would like to add a new genre of country, I mean we've been doing it for years. To discriminate CT would inadvertantly bash country greats such as Tim McGraw who recently partnered up with Nelly for a song/video.

    Moving on...If you look at rap & country...I think they are the two most similar types of music. Despite the different sounds, the both rely on a heavy beat, are very open about life situations, use a lot of rhyme...I could go on, but I won't.

    Have a gret day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home