More Nephew Adventures
So, last weekend I headed home to the magical land of Green Bay to spend some quality time with the family for Thanksgiving. At one point, I got into a conversation with my nephew, Dominic. It turns out that he's added some new skills to his repertoire. Here's how that conversation went:
Wow. What a master. Look how he took two completely different genres of jokes and blended them together into something new! Outstanding. At this point he collapsed into a fit of laughter. I decided to try to tell him one, but could only think of one stupid knock, knock joke to tell. But hey - he's five. What are the odds that he's already heard it?
Well geez! Tough room. I can see his point, though - that joke sucks. Being quick on my feet I decided to try to tell one using his newly patented joke format.
Your damn right that's hilarious. Honestly, I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
Dom: "Aunt Laura, let's tell jokes!"
Me: "Ok - you go first."
Dom: "Knock Knock!"
Me: "Who's there?"
Dom: "Chicken crossing the road."
Me: "... Chicken crossing the road who?"
Dom: "Chicken crossing the road because he thought it was a light!"
Wow. What a master. Look how he took two completely different genres of jokes and blended them together into something new! Outstanding. At this point he collapsed into a fit of laughter. I decided to try to tell him one, but could only think of one stupid knock, knock joke to tell. But hey - he's five. What are the odds that he's already heard it?
Me: "Knock, knock."
Dom: "Who's there?"
Me: "Orange."
Dom: "Orange who?"
Me: "Orange you going to answer the door?"
Dom (with a completely straight face): "... Not funny."
Well geez! Tough room. I can see his point, though - that joke sucks. Being quick on my feet I decided to try to tell one using his newly patented joke format.
Me: "Knock, knock."
Dom: "Who's there?"
Me: "Your mom crossing the road."
Dom: "Your mom crossing the road who?"
Me: "Your mom crossing the road... with your dad!"
Dom (as he cracks up laughing and falls to the floor): "That's hilarious!"
Your damn right that's hilarious. Honestly, I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

4 Comments:
At 11:30 PM, November 27, 2007,
Mark said…
I prefer magic over jokes, because they only find jokes funny once but you can do the same magic trick over and over again. I guess jokes would be all right if I knew a lot, but I don't. And I only know one "magic trick" and the kids never get tired of it. It's been a life saver teaching kids in japan and hanging out in peru. I need to learn some for kids that are older than 4. it's the absolute lamest magic trick ever recorded.
At 11:57 AM, November 28, 2007,
Laura Ibsen said…
Be prepared - I'll need to see that trick on Thursday night. :)
At 12:02 PM, November 28, 2007,
Colleen said…
you have the funniest stories. good job.
At 2:16 PM, January 18, 2008,
Laura Ibsen said…
Thanks - I use my blog to tell stories because I'm so awkward in real life. It's a nice secondary option.
Post a Comment
<< Home