Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Post Election Post

Ah yes, election day. Is there any day that makes a person feel more patriotic? Well, a middle-class suburban-ite who is not in the military nor otherwise involved in any sort of government?

I didn't think that I was going to get to vote this year. I'm originally from Wisconsin, and just really haven't gotten around to switching my ID over to Minnesota yet. In my defence, it's only been eight years. But, If you don't have a MN ID, you need a utility bill with your name and current residence on it, plus either a witness that lives with or near you, or a US passport. I was able to vote in the last Minnesota election where Pawlenty and Coleman won for govenor and congressman, respectively. At that time, the electric bill was in my name and I went with my roomate who vouched for me. I was also able to vote in the last two presidential elecions, but I just did that in Wisconsin because it was easier.

For this election, I was able to find time to get myself a passport (though sadly I haven't had the oportunity to break it in yet - I am considering hopping up to Canada as they will soon require a passport to enter the country. Cute picture, though), but all of the bills go to my Viet Cong roomant, Chen.

So, I was super bummed that I couldn't vote. I felt like a traitor to my country. :(

But behold! The MN State Dept's website said that a cell phone bill counted as a utility! That definitely comes to the house in my name. Eureka! I actually have Chris to thank for my being able to vote on Tuesday, as I linked over to the state dept's website through his blog. I know it would make him happy to know that his blog is being used to get more republicans into office.

Soon, I was the proud owner of an "I Voted" sticker, and became obsessed with finding all the places around town that gave you free food for wearing it.

God bless America!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:04 PM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is good that you were able to vote, Laura. by the way, that marriage amendment I wrote about a coupla months past was accepted in a landslide by the majority of voters in Wisconsin. The "Vote NO" crowd is extremely upset about this and are complaining about it left and right and starting facebook groups like "I'm disappointed in Wisconsin" to prove that they are very unhappy with it, but get over it, majority rules (yeah, that sound really harsh).

     
  • At 11:13 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I told ya - good things come from 'sconsin:

    -cheese
    -me
    -same sex marriage bans
    -Brett Favre

    The list goes on and on. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home