Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Chen's New Hat*

My roomate Chen has a weird boyfriend named Mike. One day, he insisted that she wear more hats, as she rarely ever wears them. I never wear hats either - mainly because most hats look ridiculous on me. I feel that if you don't look good in hats, then just don't wear hats. Anyway, even though Chen looks super-cute in hats, she doesn't wear them that much.

So, Mike went and bought Chenny a hat. Here's a picture:


It's a cute hat. Mike has good taste, to be sure (he's dating my roomate, after all). I'd even go so far as saying that he picked out a great hat for a girl who rarely wears hats: its cut to look decent on almost any head/face shape, and is quite cute and feminine.

There's only one problem: The hat has a slight military look to it, and is also green. That in and of itself isn't bad at all. However, Chen is Asian. When she puts the hat on, she looks like the Viet Cong.


She came up to me and asked me for an honest opinion on herself in the hat. I asked her if she was considering communism. You have to admit - she looks like she joined some sort of Asian military. She agreed with me too, and was glad that I saw what she was seeing. Maybe other people have been telling her that she looks cute - which she most certainly does. For both her and me, though, the whole "General Tso" look completely trumps any cute-factor the hat might incur. The thing even has insignia's on it for crying out loud!

I know it's not fair. Maybe it's just an American thing: If I saw a white, black, or latino woman wearing this hat, I wouldn't automatically think of the military. What do you think? Does Chen look like she's about call for the complete distruction of capatalism?


__________________________________________________________
*Printed with Chen's permission

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home