Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Monday, September 18, 2006

My friends are crimefighters!

Last weekend, I was walking through a more trendy part of Minneapolis known as "Uptown". I had just gotten back from a friend's cabin, and had head over to Uptown to meet up with some friends at Old Chicago. Well, it was a few of my friends, and a whole mess of one of my friend's friends from high school. They were all those pretty, shiny, glam people that seem huddle together making others feel like scrap metal amidst a sea of diamonds.

But hold on, that's not the point of my story. If anything, that just put me in a bit of a bad mood, coloring my response for the night's forthcoming events.

So, three girlfriends and I were walking back from the bar to the house they'd just recently moved into. Still in Uptown, I noticed a domestic disturbance (a man and a woman screaming at each other) occuring in a white minivan parked across the busy street we were walking down. Being the first to notice this, I did what I felt was appropriate. I swore under my breath, directed my friend's attention to the situation, and said "if people are going to yell at each other, they shouldn't do it in public."

It was right at this moment that the man (sitting in the driver's side) began to beat the woman seated next to him with his fists, rocking the entire van violently in the process. My friend Biso immediately grabbed her cell phone and called 911. My other friend Beany crept across the street to get a closer look at the license plate.

She came back quick, though, when both the man and the woman decided to get out of the van to continue their "discussion" out on the sidewalk. I could now see that the man, whom I will henceforth refer to as "the wall" weighed in at at least four bills. The woman couldn't have been that far behind him - say about 3 bills or so. Their van's shocks might need some attention in the near future.

They continued to yell and hit each other for a few seconds, but stopped and got back in the van when three cop cars pulled up and surrounded them. I have to hand it to the Mpls PD - they responed VERY quickly. I don't mind paying taxes at all when they go to cops, or decent road repair, or stuff like that.

I would have liked to see where the situation headed, but my friends all wanted to get home. Hopefully, the cops weren't in need of any kind of wittness reports or anything like that. All in all, I'm proud of them. It's very good to surround youself with good people whenever you can. Perhaps the people in the van need to figure that out.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, September 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. Good thing for cell phones.

     
  • At 9:44 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    I saw something like this on 4th Street by the University. It was two guys in a car, though, but I think there was at least one woman in it. I thought they were joking around because it was around 3pm and there was a lot of traffic around them. Anyway, one guy ended up getting out of the car. I circled around and thought about getting out and fighting whomever I determined to be the bad guy, but the cops got there first (so close! I totally would have fought him too... well... I'd like to think so...).

    One has to wonder, though, with a woman that big, if she was the instigator. Large women scare me a little bit. I always assume they're probably stronger than me, and in any case, I couldn't lift them up if they fell on me.

    Maybe they were fighting over a taco...

     
  • At 9:50 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    Oh, and these guys I saw were beating the crap out of each other, which is pretty hard inside a car. One guy kept bringing his arm up and back as far as possible and using momentum to give the swing more punch (pardon the pun). They were also black, for what it's worth, which isn't much. It was probably white people's fault that they were fighting.

     
  • At 12:43 PM, September 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brett -

    Yup.

    Chris -

    I just laughed out loud in my cube. Thanks - they always think I'm strange when I do that. :)

    Question: What's the rule about fighting when its a small man and a large woman? Does the old "never hit a woman" hold up when she could easily squish the guy? Does it matter who starts the fight?

     
  • At 12:43 PM, September 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, and kill Whitey.

     
  • At 3:00 AM, September 23, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    Laura,

    See, the thing is that when a really large woman reaches a certain weight she stops becoming a woman. Seeing as this "chick" (she's not a real woman, so I put quotes around "chick") was around 300 pounds, she classifies as something else. I'm not really sure what the rules are, but I think they're more lenient. The safest bet is to run, though, because she probably won't be very fast. You only have to worry about earthquakes, because she can create them if she wants to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home