Do you ever get the feeling that people aren't really listening to you?
This morning I was working hard (aka: starring at my desk), and decided that I should eat the banana I had brought with me in my lunch. I retrieved it from my lunch bag, sat back down at my desk, and tried to open it. For some reason, I could not crack the seal around the top.
You see, with bananas, you can't pull too hard toward one side or another, because you'll mash up the fruit that you wanted to get to in the first place. I even tried the "nick the top with your finger nail to encourage it to tear" trick - nothing. Now, I know a girl who can hold a banana in her two hands, palms facing out, and rip it straight in half without harming the fruit in any way. I've come to the conclusion that that is a great life-skill to posess. I, however, have never been that crafty.
Realizing that I'd have to utilize some sophisticated tool work (aka: a butter knife) to open my morning snack, I left my desk and headed toward the kitchen. En route, I ran into one of the guys who works with our Meals On Wheels program: Richard. Richard is a very nice, very wise man who is always in a cheery mood. Whenever you ask him how he's doing, he'll always reply "I'm blessed!". He says that we're all blessed every single day just to be able to wake up in the morning, so there's never any reason to complain. I don't entirely agree with that, so I think its funny to say "ok" or something equally vague and pointless whenever he asks me how I'm doing.
Anyway, he crosses my path, and our brief conversation went like this:
And then our paths seperated us. I don't know if he just didn't hear what I'd said, and assumed I'd said something stupid, or if he just never really listens to me. This may warrent further investigation.
You see, with bananas, you can't pull too hard toward one side or another, because you'll mash up the fruit that you wanted to get to in the first place. I even tried the "nick the top with your finger nail to encourage it to tear" trick - nothing. Now, I know a girl who can hold a banana in her two hands, palms facing out, and rip it straight in half without harming the fruit in any way. I've come to the conclusion that that is a great life-skill to posess. I, however, have never been that crafty.
Realizing that I'd have to utilize some sophisticated tool work (aka: a butter knife) to open my morning snack, I left my desk and headed toward the kitchen. En route, I ran into one of the guys who works with our Meals On Wheels program: Richard. Richard is a very nice, very wise man who is always in a cheery mood. Whenever you ask him how he's doing, he'll always reply "I'm blessed!". He says that we're all blessed every single day just to be able to wake up in the morning, so there's never any reason to complain. I don't entirely agree with that, so I think its funny to say "ok" or something equally vague and pointless whenever he asks me how I'm doing.
Anyway, he crosses my path, and our brief conversation went like this:
Richard: Laura! Come shake my hand! How are you doing today?
Me: I can't get my banana open.
Richard: Oh yeah, I heard that! I heard that... right on!
Me: ......
And then our paths seperated us. I don't know if he just didn't hear what I'd said, and assumed I'd said something stupid, or if he just never really listens to me. This may warrent further investigation.

8 Comments:
At 1:12 PM, August 05, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Back in the Florida w/ Navs days, I still remember when we used to just hold the banana with two hands, one on each end. Then we proceed to pull the banana and see it split in two halves. This is surprisingly satisfying.
At 10:03 PM, August 05, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Yeah - that's where I first saw that happen. I don't think I can do it, though.
At 7:07 PM, August 09, 2006,
chen said…
maybe "i can't get my banana open" is code for something.
At 12:25 PM, August 10, 2006,
Anonymous said…
If it isn't, it should be! :)
At 9:18 PM, August 10, 2006,
Sam said…
Well, you gotta work just hard enough not to get fired!
At 11:20 PM, August 10, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Thank you for listing my photo site on your blog! Who is this?
At 11:14 AM, August 11, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Sammy -
"I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!"
Andrew -
My name is Laura Ibsen. We are friends. I also have the Echo site linked here, but that's just because Matty Best is so darn hot.
At 9:52 PM, August 21, 2006,
Chris Hill said…
I live in Pensacola, near where the aforementioned Florida experience occured. I have not observed such a phenomenon, but hope to someday know how that feels. Perhaps that exists in heaven...
As to your banana predicament, I too have had that frustration. I think the key is to wait until the banana is riper, which allows for easier peel-fruit seperation.
As to that other guy, he probably didn't know what to do or say. To reduce ackwardness by probably at least 40 or 50 points, he ignored your statement. Or maybe his mom died. Or maybe he's a jerk. Whatever it is, I think you should ask him to open your banana every day and let us know how that works.
Post a Comment
<< Home