Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Charactoria

Well, with all this abuse of power going on all around me on a daily basis, I've decided to get in the game. For the past few months, I've seen what's its like to run my own country. Well, my own internet country, that is. Through this website, you can create your own nation, name it, and give it whatever kind of government you want. Here's what mine looks like right now:

The Rogue Nation of Charactoria
"A man's character is his destiny."

UN Category: Capitalist Paradise
Civil Rights: Good
Average Economy: Thriving
Political Freedoms: World Benchmark

The Rogue Nation of Charactoria is a massive, environmentally stunning, economically powerful nation, notable for its burgeoning horse population. Its compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 1.386 billion are either ruled by a small, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.

The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass -- juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Education, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 37%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Book Publishing industry, followed by Beef-Based Agriculture and Uranium Mining.

Artists are pillars of society, the alarmingly racist tv show "Bigtopians say the darndest things" is a huge hit, space shuttles regularly launch rubbish into space, and your press secretary has had to issue ANOTHER public statement to tell everyone you're not a hyper-intelligent aubergine.

Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Charactoria's national animal is the horse, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the dollar.

The trouble with this game, is that it give you some public issues that have come up before the government to decide upon. If you make a wrong move, you could end up changing your entire government style for better or for worse. I started out pretty well, with a "New York Times Democracy". Then, I accidently took a wrong turn (too darn compassionate, I guess). Imagine my horror, when I loged on the other day to find I had overnight warped into "Democratic Socialists". Nish Nish. So, with much time and effort, I have made my way not only to New York Times Democracy, but on up to "Capatist Paradise". Very good.

I've also been trying to keep the income tax low, not destroy my enviornment, keep civil right up to a liveable level, and keep the crime down. Right now, I'm feel like I'm doing pretty stellar with the whole deal.

I find it especially funny to go around the "region" and look at people's countries that are extremely liberal. While they have excellent civil right, their political freedoms are "abused", their crime level is "choking" their society, and their income tax rates are around 90%. You see? You just can't make everyone feel "happy" without tanking your economy. Just can't do it.

Feel free to create your own nation. Let me know - perhaps one day we can do battle over a neutral uranium mine or something.

I may have a little too much time on my hands.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Wow that looks like fun. I think I might try it. (But I'm really confused how 37% flat tax is capitalist paradise!)

     
  • At 4:15 PM, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did the whole NationStates thing... but it didn't give me quite enough options when it came to choosing official positions on officially important matters. pity.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jordan,

    Should it by higher or lower?

    Sean,

    Yeah, I know. There aren't many subtleties in this game. You have to choose from A or B, with strong consequences for your society with either choice. That's why I often choose to "dismiss the issue" that's up for review.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Capitalists like low taxes so they can move around capital (and investments) at will, without government hindrance (taxation). I believe 37% is the highest tax bracket for the highest income earners in the U.S. right now. People who propose a flat tax often cite values of around 15%. So a 37% flat tax is very high. I just started a nation, so I'm sure it will get higher with time, but right now my tax rate is 4% flat. That's unrealistically low, but I was just surprised that the nation states game labelled things as "capitalist paradise" with a 37% flat tax...because I don't think capitalists would consider that to be a paradise in the real world. Most capitalists think taxes are too high as they are now....

     
  • At 3:37 PM, July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jordan,

    I've found that as the game wears on, its very hard to not make choices that raise taxes - the game bends the choices towards that a bit. For a long time, I tetered around 47%, and the game still told me that I was doing very well economically.

    What's the name of your nation? I want to go check it out.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Yea, that makes sense. I'm sure the more questions you answer the more your govt. naturally influences more things and needs more money. Anyway, the name of my nation is "mmmhmm." I'm still trying to figure things out....

     
  • At 1:16 PM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    I went to almost no taxes within a day or two. They don't give you too many options so you have to read into things a bit, just like real government. For instance, it's good to exercise daily, but very bad if the government requires it.

    The creator of this online simulation is obviously quite left-leaning since he doesn't understand this fundamental idea of society (i.e., personal responsibility). For instance, if I choose to not require my citizens to exercise daily, somehow they won't do it on their own. Ridiculous.

    Anyway, it's pretty fun. I hate the UN... actually, I really hate the UN. So I created 2 countries. One is my real country, called "The Republic of Jordan Raney" (.../jordan_raney), and the other is its antithesis, called "The Queendom of Anti Jordan Raney" (.../anti_jordan_raney), which I also use to vote against UN crap.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    Here's another absurdity with the game. My Queendom of Anti Jordan Raney is categorized as "Iron Fist Socialists," yet my civil rights are "superb" and my environment is composed of "many lush forests." Here's the problem: socialist countries have some of the worst polution. The only reason they might have "lush forests" is because the civil rights of the people are squashed so much that no one can leave the big cities (which are very poluted I might add).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home