The most dangerous of our species: Part One
Lately, I have been noticing a very dangerous breed of human being. No, its not serial killers, or even Vikings fans. The real danger lies, simply, in people who have received a little bit of power, and, out of a desperate need to feel important or "be someone", they display an attitude that renders superiority over anyone they see. In the most extreme cases, this can lead to dictators slaughtering millions of their own people. Mostly, however, these people leave themselves open to public mockary and disgrace. And I'm just the one to do it. So, without furthur ado, I present some of the more idiotic power-trippers that I've recently come into contact with.
#1 The network news weatherman.
A couple weeks ago, I was happily watching my favorite new show on TV: Prison Break, on the number nine. Suddently, something ubruptly seperated my from my beloved Wentworth Miller.
Do you know what it was? It was the Fox Nine weather team, headed up by Ms. Janie Peterson.

She decided to break into my TV heaven to tell me that severe weather was moving into our area. More specifically, a "severe" thunderstorm. Now, you have to understand, I live in the midwest. We eat thunderstorms for breakfast. I hear that down south, they have off from school for rain. Pansies. Growing up in Wisconsin, we didn't have off from school unless it was snowing so hard that visibility was zero - and that's just because its too dangerous for busses to drive in or something. I remember one time we had off because the wind chill was actually -80 degrees. Aparently, it was so cold that your skin would actually freeze if it was uncovered in that temperature for more than a few seconds. That didn't stop my friends from coming over to my place to hang out for the day. So you see, thunderstorms aren't usually something I worry about. (We did have off from school when the Packers won the superbowl, but that's clearly a different matter.)
So you see, there is no reason for Ms. Peterson to viciously break into my show. But she did, AT LEAST FOUR TIMES WITHIN THE REMAINING HALF HOUR!!! She said that hail might be moving in, and there were strong-ish winds, and (heavens no) rain! Being a meterologist, she should know that while it would ruin a good picnic, this kind of weather was in no way life or property threatening. In fact, as I was leaving, I was on the lookout. You see, since I assume she would only disturb me for a good reason, I was cautious for some really bad weather. I almost considered SKIPPING THE REST OF THE SHOW to make it home before the weather started. Thank goodness I choose to risk it, because once I got to driving, I ran into some hardish rain (nothing I couldn't handle) and some lightening and thunder. It was in no way dangerous. It actually made for a pleasent drive and rest of the night.
Why, Janie... why? Why do you inturrupt shows with hot guys

to scare the innocent people of Minnesota? I believe that she does it to "be someone". Yes, Ms. Peterson suffered through meterology school, worked all the way up to being the top weather person on a Fox station, and now can't stand to think that she's just like everyone else out there. So, she decides that she is a "tv star" and uses weather patterns to show off to everyone how smart and important she is, and how much more special she is than the rest of us. This is power trippage to extreme measures of annoyance. Janie (and all the weathermen out there), you're not fooling us.
I have more... stay tuned.
#1 The network news weatherman.
A couple weeks ago, I was happily watching my favorite new show on TV: Prison Break, on the number nine. Suddently, something ubruptly seperated my from my beloved Wentworth Miller.
Do you know what it was? It was the Fox Nine weather team, headed up by Ms. Janie Peterson.

She decided to break into my TV heaven to tell me that severe weather was moving into our area. More specifically, a "severe" thunderstorm. Now, you have to understand, I live in the midwest. We eat thunderstorms for breakfast. I hear that down south, they have off from school for rain. Pansies. Growing up in Wisconsin, we didn't have off from school unless it was snowing so hard that visibility was zero - and that's just because its too dangerous for busses to drive in or something. I remember one time we had off because the wind chill was actually -80 degrees. Aparently, it was so cold that your skin would actually freeze if it was uncovered in that temperature for more than a few seconds. That didn't stop my friends from coming over to my place to hang out for the day. So you see, thunderstorms aren't usually something I worry about. (We did have off from school when the Packers won the superbowl, but that's clearly a different matter.)
So you see, there is no reason for Ms. Peterson to viciously break into my show. But she did, AT LEAST FOUR TIMES WITHIN THE REMAINING HALF HOUR!!! She said that hail might be moving in, and there were strong-ish winds, and (heavens no) rain! Being a meterologist, she should know that while it would ruin a good picnic, this kind of weather was in no way life or property threatening. In fact, as I was leaving, I was on the lookout. You see, since I assume she would only disturb me for a good reason, I was cautious for some really bad weather. I almost considered SKIPPING THE REST OF THE SHOW to make it home before the weather started. Thank goodness I choose to risk it, because once I got to driving, I ran into some hardish rain (nothing I couldn't handle) and some lightening and thunder. It was in no way dangerous. It actually made for a pleasent drive and rest of the night.
Why, Janie... why? Why do you inturrupt shows with hot guys

to scare the innocent people of Minnesota? I believe that she does it to "be someone". Yes, Ms. Peterson suffered through meterology school, worked all the way up to being the top weather person on a Fox station, and now can't stand to think that she's just like everyone else out there. So, she decides that she is a "tv star" and uses weather patterns to show off to everyone how smart and important she is, and how much more special she is than the rest of us. This is power trippage to extreme measures of annoyance. Janie (and all the weathermen out there), you're not fooling us.
I have more... stay tuned.

9 Comments:
At 2:03 PM, May 25, 2006,
chen said…
he is really cute and hot...anne and i comment on his good looks all the time when he comes up on commercial during 24.
At 10:44 PM, May 25, 2006,
Chris Hill said…
Does anyone else feel bothered by the use of the term "Ms."? I personally am annoyed by it. It is "Miss" or "Mrs." "Ms." is just some feminist BS made up so that women could have the same term whether or not they're married. I just makes me angry.
Anyway, I probably started a big long debate or something. Sorry.
P.S. Laura, this isn't a swipe at you at all. I'm sure that's what they have on the ch.9 website too.
At 12:19 AM, May 26, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Pretty sure the feminists didn't invent "Ms" ...most sources say it was first used by Mario Pei in "The Story of Language." Yes, the feminists took it and ran with it, and I understand (I think) why it can be annoying.
However, it's also extremely convenient, and its use often can prevent offense.
An interesting article I found while googling the topic...
http://www.fix.net/~rprewett/mrmrs.html
Laura, I'm excited for part 2 :)
At 10:58 AM, May 26, 2006,
Jordan said…
Laura,
I like your post, especially the whole premise behind it. People definitely become mini-dictators when they get the slightest bit of power. So sad. (I always think of cops who do this. Coming home from work: "Hey honey. I ticketed some punk kid with expired tabs today!" "Ohhhh, you're so noble." "And I caught 3 people in a speed trap!" "ohhh so noble!")
One thought I had was that it might have been some behind-the-desk producer who made the decision. I have no idea how much authority the actual newscasters have.
Anyway...what did you think of the season finale? I don't want to hijack your comments so if you don't want to get into it that's fine. Overall it was suspensful and entertaining, but I think they dragged things out way too much, really the entire season. Because of my need for efficiency (apparently even in entertainment) I haven't yet decided whether or not to watch the second season. That will probably be determined automatically as a result of my decision regarding whether or not to go to med. school.
Loving everyone always,
Jordan
At 4:17 PM, May 26, 2006,
Mark said…
I've never seen The House of the Beautiful or 24. There is no point to this comment. I love all of you.
At 4:52 PM, May 26, 2006,
Chris Hill said…
Jordan,
Good insight.
Nicole,
I didn't know the etymology (sp?) of "Ms." Thanks for the info. I have used it sometimes, but I don't like to do things just because they're less offensive. I think the prevalence of the word indicates the abolition of the idea of male headship, which has in turn hurt women and caused men to become pushovers.
That website was interesting. In Vietnam, most friends even called each other "Mister" and "Miss". I appreciated this, and wouldn't mind if we used that more in our society. I really didn't agree with her conclusions, but I've been up for 29 hrs straight doing complex math so I'm not going to comment.
At 4:58 PM, May 26, 2006,
Chris Hill said…
Another thought along the lines of not using formal terms as much anymore: the removal of formal titles in everyday language is a sign of the feminization of our society (which is very feminized). Women are much more relational and focused on love. Men are much more professional and focused on respect. I think the feminization of our society was unbiblical, and since men have refused to lead, we have strayed from these titles. Thus I think a return to more respectful terms - unless it's "Ms." - would be appropriate. I say this as a member of the Armed Forces, though, so I'm biased.
At 5:59 PM, May 26, 2006,
Anonymous said…
I always thought that the whole "Ms." thing was invented to give respect to older, unmarried women who cannot be called "Mrs." because they are not married, but who also don't wish to be called "Miss" as that refers more to a younger woman. Just sort of throwing them a bone.
Jordan:
I was sad that the doctor OD'd. I hope she doesn't die. But, I don't understand how she could possibly be in season two: its not like she's going with him to wherever he's escaping to. When you think about it, the producers could do whatever they want in season two: they could have the brothers team up with the lawyer to try to take down the president (by the way, why do all shows now-a-days have the president be evil?), or they could go live new lives in South America, or they could try to bust out LJ.... so many directions to go in.
At 1:11 PM, May 31, 2006,
Jordan said…
Laura,
I thought more about this, and I actually appreciate the way they have done things with the dr., even though at first I was kind of annoyed by it. You bring up a good point about how to incorporate her in future episodes though. That is a big problem I think and I have no idea how they'll get around it. The thing is, she was a major-enough character that I would be extremely surprised if they didn't use her any more. But at the same time, plot-wise, how can they pull it off? Can there be some kind of subplot with her if she isn't around "pretty" (as the molester calls him)? Also, why was LJ not even mentioned at the end of the season? I would have thought that his dad would have been freaking out more.
Post a Comment
<< Home