Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Monday, April 03, 2006

One ticket to Strangeville please!

One day last week, I woke up, got ready and went downstairs to my car to go hang out with my friend Chen. I got into my car, buckled up, and turned on the engine. As I was about to pull out, I noticed something under my windshield.

Now, living in Minneapolis, advertisers often put flyers or coupons under people's windshields in parking lots at malls and the like. But, this was at my apartment building. Besides, it looked more like someone had stuck a piece of garbage under my wiper. Imagine my surprise when I picked it up to discover this:



If you can't read it, it says "Orla, I stopped by. -Xina (Xing?) Mwah!"

I pondered for a moment. Who could have left a note such as this? "Orla" is pretty close (sounding) to "Laura", but no one has ever called me that. It would be pretty strange to invent a new nickname on an obscure note under my windshield.

I looked it up online. Orla is short for Órfhlaith, which means "golden princess". Órfhlaith, now there's a sexy name. It sounds like a sound someone would make after just being punched in the stomache. Maybe that will catch on as my new nickname (no).

Back to the note, I did just have some friends over for a dinner/hottub party the night before. But they all came inside, so I doubt any of them would put a note like this on my car. Also, none of them go by "Xena" or "Xeng" or whatever the heck that says.

A scary thought flashed through my mind at that point... what if the person who left the note was the same person who stole my purse, thereby knowing my address and what kind of car I have? Thank goodness I changed my locks! But, I think that this option is too scary to truly consider. I'd have to change my terror alert (over to the right) to "Ernie" if that was the case. Besides, why wouldn't they just use my real first name (as that's all they know)? Its kind of an ineffectual note, as I'm not called Orla and I don't know who Xeng is.

That brings us to my conclusionary thought, that maybe the note-leaver left their note on the wrong car. Since I don't want to ask my friends if they happened to leave it, and I don't want to believe that some weirdo's been to my house and car, I'm choosing to go with this option. Dang - perhaps the conceal and carry is a good idea for me afterall!

10 Comments:

  • At 4:45 PM, April 03, 2006, Blogger chen said…

    This really has nothing to do with your blog but I wanted to let you know that I showed Laura the house today and she really liked it! WE're going to have to work on her about the cat though!

     
  • At 5:09 PM, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Doesn't she like dogs??? Gosh - lets tell her about my slight cat allergy. I'll have Sammy write out a soon-to-be doctor's note about it. :)

    I asked her to keep us informed about great dog finds at the vet school, and she said she would because she's great like that.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Laura,
    I agree with your conclusion. Xeng sounds like the name of someone who gets confused easily. Whoever he was, he lived up to his name. Alas, Orla is awaiting a note from her love that she will never receive. Ponder...and weep. A tragedy that never had to be--yet is. A tragedy so perfectly illustrating the human condition, one in which Miscommunication and his brother Confusion account for so much suffering in our world. Let us pause and consider deeply the state of our world and the great drama in which we play a role--whether we will it or not.

    Huh?

    Sorry about that.

    Also I think even more highly of you all for your interest in dogs over cats.

    Jordan

     
  • At 12:36 PM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Naw - if he really loved her, he would have found some other way of communicating other that scribbling a note on some garbage and sticking it under her wiper. Also, he would take the time to find out which car is really hers.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Jon said…

    Laura, Can I borrow the first season of Lost? Adam Leicht and I need to see what all the hype is about. You rock.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Jon said…

    Sorry, that was me Jonny. I guess my profile doesn't work.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Jon said…

    Laura why haven't you responded? Adam and I need it. Seriously. Call me when you see this.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, April 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jonny: What am I, your crack dealer??

    I see how it is. You never comment on my blog unless I have something that you want. You and Adam only love me for my "Lost: Season One" DVD's.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, April 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have Lost season ONE?! When can I get dibs?

     
  • At 1:45 PM, April 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. This is like the girl who develops first in school - suddenly all the boys want to come by.

    Alright. Perhaps we could all get together and have a "Lost - Season One" party. Actually, it could be a quasi-Nav reunion party as well.

    Or, I could just loan it out for a price. That way, if you can't pay up, I could shake you down. That's what a mobster would do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home