Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Thoughts on Christians and Muslims

I was listening to the radio this morning, and they reported that there had been a protest by some local Muslims (here in Minnepolis, Minnesota) about the quote/unquote "offensive" cartoons drawn in Denmark which depict the Muslim prophet Mohammed in various ways. I'm sure you can google it if you want to see it. The people on the radio were talking about the differences between Christians and Muslims, and asking why the Christians never protest when things like this happen to Jesus (their God, and God's son).

You can find Jesus being depicted in humiliating ways everywhere. Aparently, there is some major art display around right now that depicts Jesus hanging on an upside-down cross in a jar of urine. Heck, just look at Kanye West on the cover of last month's issue of Rolling Stone magazine. These things are very offensive to Christians, but they're not burning down the offices of rolling stone or bombing art galleries to show it.

So, this begs the question: why not? Is it because Christians are weak? Is it because they are aprehensive about their religion, and don't really have the same passion the Muslims do? Not at all. The reason that they can see immages like those about Jesus and not go ape is because they know that God is God.

God, by very definition, is a supreme being that has honor and glory unto Himself already. He is someone who deserves respect, because that's just who He is. But, no person here can take away from His respect by not respecting Him. The Christians know that God can take care of Himself. For them to follow Him, they do desire to respect Him themselves. And yes, it is offensive to them to see Jesus - their Savior and Lord - hung on a cross upside-down in a jar of urine. But, they know that just because some person chose to depict Him like that - it doesn't at all take away from who God is - a being of respect because He is God. Simply put - God is God, and we can't stop Him from being God because of what we do.

The Muslims, to me, seem like a very fearful people. Perhaps the fact that they get so angry and violent when one small human being chooses to draw one silly little picture of Mohammed (not a god himself, but a prophet and representative of their God) shows their insecurity in who their God really is. If they were so sure in their God being God, what possible difference would it make for other people to have different trains of thought or create offensive gestures toward Mohammed? Shouldn't Mohammed be able to stand up for himself? Yes, I think that the Muslims must be very afraid on some level to fight as hard as they do.

Its like when a friend of your's chooses to date someone that you both know is bad for them. When you say anything about the person they're dating - they blow up in your face and scream at you. Deep down, they know they shouldn't be dating that person either - but can't admit it to themselves. So, they throw logic out the window and won't listen to a thing you say. They hate any voice that would tell them anything different than what they want to hear.

To me, truth is truth no matter what. If something is right-down to-the-ground true, no action on our part can change it. And truth enlists belief, not the other way around. No matter how hard you try, you can't make something true if it just isn't, no matter how hard you believe it. Say what you will about the Christians, at least they seem to be ok with who they are and who their God is. The Muslims on the other hand, (from what I can tell and have seen) seem to be on shakier ground. Perhaps they realize that their house of cards could very easily topple, and that's why they fight so hard whever there's somebody around who's breathing a little too close for comfort.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger renee said…

    I wonder if we are right not to be upset. I believe that we are right not to riot and kill people in the street - and our God has been lashed out at publicly almost since the beginning of time, so it could be that we're just used to it. But do we, when we look at a crucifix floating in urine, have a sense of inner horror at the hatred the artist is showing toward the sacrifice that was made for him? Do we sense the wrath of God toward that kind of reception of His gift to all people? I think we should have a severe reaction in our thoughts toward such offenses, but the action required of us is ever to love each other and our enemies, regardless of them spitting in Jesus's face.

    I also think we have no idea what it would feel like to be a Muslim in modern times.The Muslims I've actually conversed with have all been intelligent and more similar to me than the non-believers in my life, who we do not deride in the same way.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good thoughts Renee - I'm always thankful for your wisdom. :)

    I should have noted that this was in reference to the violent muslims that we see in the media, which is in no way the guarenteed majority. Its usually the smaller factions that get the most press, because they're the most radical.

     
  • At 6:34 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger chen said…

    I think the situation in Denmark is a little different than here. In Denmark, the cartoons are a deliberate political statement for possible immigration restrictions from Eastern Europe (mainly Turkey) and everyone knows it and the Muslims there are really scared of it. I had an Austrian friend tell me once that he hates Muslims because they come into his country not adapting to the Austrian culture but wanting to do things there own way. I think a big fear of the Danes is that they are afraid that Muslims will eventaully take over their current way of life.
    I say all this to point out that the situation in the US is different. We are not scared of the Christian culture taking over because (as lax as it is) our culture was built on Christianity. I agree that we should get upset, but I don't know if we can make a fair comparison between what's going on Denmark and the lack of religious fervor that's going on in our nation.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have 2 questions for you that I am curious about...

    A. How many Muslim friends do you have?

    B. Have you studied the Christian Crusades?

     
  • At 2:36 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Reid :) Thanks for posting - I welcome your insight here.

    I work with Muslims everyday (my food shelf serves the Benediri Somalian community, which was rejected by the other Somalian tribes and treated unfairly, even here in the Twin Cities), and but I don't currently spend social time with any Muslims, to my knowledge. I used to more when I worked in other places, because we'd go out after work for happy hour, and stuff like that.

    As I've said, I haven't noticed the Muslims I've known to be violent - I was referring more to the rioters and bombers (extremists) that I see on TV. I apologise for not making that clearer earlier.

    I haven't studied the Crusades very much at all, and don't know very much about them. The only things I know are background info: Muslims were raiding and pillaging the Jews for control of the "Holy Land" for about 400 years. The Christians decided to get involved to fight against them (the Muslims) because A) they didn't want the Jews to be inhilated, and B) they didn't want the Muslims to have control over Jerusalem either. War insued.

     
  • At 6:09 PM, February 21, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Hi Reid,

    I'm curious if you've studied the 7th-8th century expansion of Islam. You'll note that within 100 years of its invention Islam had managed to (literally) cut its way across North Africa and up through Spain. This culminated in the Battle of Tours in 732 AD in which the Franks decisively pushed back the Islamic invasion and arguably altered the course of western civilization. This occurred in central France. What were muslim armies doing in France a century after Islam was created?

    The answer, of course, is that Islam was a religion of conquest. It still is. When put in their historical context the crusades, which happened centuries after the Battle of Tours, were defensive wars.

    People often attempt to morally equate Christianity with Islam due to a few oft-referenced historical events (usually the crusades and the inquisition are the events of choice). I'm not sure if this was your intention or not, but I felt it worth reminding everyone of the historical context of the crusades for the sake of others who might see the same implication in your words that I did.

    Jordan

     
  • At 10:39 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Sam said…

    Hey hey,

    I don't have your e-mail so I hope it's okay that you just get to my blog through Renee's link. I didn't forget you, I just don't have your e-mail! Have a great week. We should hang out soon! ....Oh yeah, and death to America.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Finally those capatalist pigs will pay for their crimes... Oh wait..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home