Thoughts
My thinking has been changed a bit as of late. Well, maybe not changed, but just re-prioritized.
I usually always live for the small moments in life. This isn't a bad thing at all. My friend Chen just wrote a really great blog entry about her take on it. To summarize, living for the small things in life (instead of the big things) is like living for the present instead of the future. We really need to stop and take a look around us, and appreciate what we have and the people that are in our lives. If we don't do that, then our lives will pass by us and we'll have missed them. Her point was that maybe God is not just the God of the big moments, but of the small, seemingly pointless conversations with each other at Caribou or Starbucks.
I recognise that and agree. I tend to live for the small moments, but usually by default of never have anything big to work towards. Nothwithsanding, I do feel pretty blessed when I can appreciate the small moments for their own worth, but all thanks to God for teaching me this.
But lately, I think that I've been living too small, or at least too small-minded. I've been hoping for things like getting married, being able to ski all winter and fish all summer, and pretty much just everything that I want. The problem with that is, its just too small a life. Not that those are bad things, but life is too short for my whole life to be about things like that.
I saw "End of the Spear" in the theater lat week. I highly suggest that you go check it out*. Its the story of Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, and their group of missionaries who went into Equador, to minister to the Waodani tribal people. The Waodani were a very militant group of peole, who believed that by killing other people (enemy jungle tribes), they would grow strong enough to be able to make it into Heaven. The Equadorian government was going to send in troups to "deal with the problem", leaving the missionaries a very short time frame to get in there and share Jesus' love with them.
That's radical love. To love another person, or group of people so much that you're willing to risk your own lives for the slightest chance that you could share that love with them is simply unheard of. That's what Jesus did for us - He loved us so much that He came down here to a world that He knew would kill Him.
The group of men did go in there, and they were killed (speared) by the very group of people that they were trying to reach. After that, their wives and children went in and began to live among them (they let them because they were women). The women's forgiveness of the Waodani was a great testament to them, and they did end up accepting Jesus as their Lord. They stopped killing each other and began to live a more peaceful, life-respecting, loving life. Nate Saint's son even travels to speak at functions with the man who speared his father.
Love like that is worth living for - much more than any ski trip or fishing excursion. But, I'm left questioning how can love like this be lived our here, in America - land of plenty? How can love like this be translated into the small aspects of life, when it's such a huge deal in the first place?
Many Christians I know want to be misisonaries. I think that that is wonderful. I think that its great to genuinly care about other people, and strive to reach out and love them. Many of my heros are missionaries. But sadly, many people often treat America as a training ground. They have an attitude that says "Hey, I'll love people here while I'm waiting for the real action to start, but once I'm gone - I'm gone." They treat Americans like they need love less than people in other cultures, in other countries.
How do you live with a sacrificial love like that here? Work in a church? I consider churches to be more of a place for training and recharging. People who work in churches are there to try to teach other people how to love. Churches are like the univerisities of Christianity. But, we all can't live at the U. We need to get out there into the "field" and start working, start loving other people sacrificially.
Perhpas we should pray that God would give us oportunities to show the radical love of Christ here and now. I just don't want to get through my life and realize that I've spent it living for the things that don't really matter. I want to love people in a way that changes them, because God loved me in a way that forever changed me. That kind of love brings life - real, full, worth-living for, life. Only in giving your life away can you finally find the life that you've always wanted and needed. Perhaps its just easier to see people's need when their in a jungle spearing each other than in an office meeting downtown.
But the real question then becomes - will I be able to sacrifice like that if it comes down to it? Will I be willing to stand up for what I've been saying, or will I fold and become a hypocrite. I've come to realize that living for Christ is not just what you get (life, healthy relationships, real love, fullfillment) but also what you give (you life if necessary). I don't have much experience in sacrificing - here in America I get whatever I want whenever I want it. It seems like everyone does on some level.
* A great post on the ensuing (and completely lame) controversy can be found on Ochuk's blog.
I usually always live for the small moments in life. This isn't a bad thing at all. My friend Chen just wrote a really great blog entry about her take on it. To summarize, living for the small things in life (instead of the big things) is like living for the present instead of the future. We really need to stop and take a look around us, and appreciate what we have and the people that are in our lives. If we don't do that, then our lives will pass by us and we'll have missed them. Her point was that maybe God is not just the God of the big moments, but of the small, seemingly pointless conversations with each other at Caribou or Starbucks.
I recognise that and agree. I tend to live for the small moments, but usually by default of never have anything big to work towards. Nothwithsanding, I do feel pretty blessed when I can appreciate the small moments for their own worth, but all thanks to God for teaching me this.
But lately, I think that I've been living too small, or at least too small-minded. I've been hoping for things like getting married, being able to ski all winter and fish all summer, and pretty much just everything that I want. The problem with that is, its just too small a life. Not that those are bad things, but life is too short for my whole life to be about things like that.
I saw "End of the Spear" in the theater lat week. I highly suggest that you go check it out*. Its the story of Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, and their group of missionaries who went into Equador, to minister to the Waodani tribal people. The Waodani were a very militant group of peole, who believed that by killing other people (enemy jungle tribes), they would grow strong enough to be able to make it into Heaven. The Equadorian government was going to send in troups to "deal with the problem", leaving the missionaries a very short time frame to get in there and share Jesus' love with them.
That's radical love. To love another person, or group of people so much that you're willing to risk your own lives for the slightest chance that you could share that love with them is simply unheard of. That's what Jesus did for us - He loved us so much that He came down here to a world that He knew would kill Him.
The group of men did go in there, and they were killed (speared) by the very group of people that they were trying to reach. After that, their wives and children went in and began to live among them (they let them because they were women). The women's forgiveness of the Waodani was a great testament to them, and they did end up accepting Jesus as their Lord. They stopped killing each other and began to live a more peaceful, life-respecting, loving life. Nate Saint's son even travels to speak at functions with the man who speared his father.
Love like that is worth living for - much more than any ski trip or fishing excursion. But, I'm left questioning how can love like this be lived our here, in America - land of plenty? How can love like this be translated into the small aspects of life, when it's such a huge deal in the first place?
Many Christians I know want to be misisonaries. I think that that is wonderful. I think that its great to genuinly care about other people, and strive to reach out and love them. Many of my heros are missionaries. But sadly, many people often treat America as a training ground. They have an attitude that says "Hey, I'll love people here while I'm waiting for the real action to start, but once I'm gone - I'm gone." They treat Americans like they need love less than people in other cultures, in other countries.
How do you live with a sacrificial love like that here? Work in a church? I consider churches to be more of a place for training and recharging. People who work in churches are there to try to teach other people how to love. Churches are like the univerisities of Christianity. But, we all can't live at the U. We need to get out there into the "field" and start working, start loving other people sacrificially.
Perhpas we should pray that God would give us oportunities to show the radical love of Christ here and now. I just don't want to get through my life and realize that I've spent it living for the things that don't really matter. I want to love people in a way that changes them, because God loved me in a way that forever changed me. That kind of love brings life - real, full, worth-living for, life. Only in giving your life away can you finally find the life that you've always wanted and needed. Perhaps its just easier to see people's need when their in a jungle spearing each other than in an office meeting downtown.
But the real question then becomes - will I be able to sacrifice like that if it comes down to it? Will I be willing to stand up for what I've been saying, or will I fold and become a hypocrite. I've come to realize that living for Christ is not just what you get (life, healthy relationships, real love, fullfillment) but also what you give (you life if necessary). I don't have much experience in sacrificing - here in America I get whatever I want whenever I want it. It seems like everyone does on some level.
* A great post on the ensuing (and completely lame) controversy can be found on Ochuk's blog.

17 Comments:
At 4:32 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
"Oh ho, the mistletoe,
hung where you can see.
Somebody waits for you,
Kiss her once for me.
Have a holly, jolly, Christmas.
And in case you didn't hear,
Oh, by golly, have a holly jolly
Christmas, this year."
At 4:34 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Hey buddy - you got something to say, or....
At 4:35 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Back off chica! I'm was just trying for a little levity around here...
At 4:37 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Look - I don't know what that means, so I'm going to take it as an insult. Why don't you come out from your little protective shroud "anonymous", you pansy!
At 4:40 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
You just don't like me because I'm white!
At 4:42 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
How the hell am I supposed to know that you're white?! As of right now, your racially, genetically, and religiously ambivalent to me!
At 4:43 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Well, I don't know what that means, so now I'm going to take it as an insult. Jump back!
At 4:46 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
"Jump back"... seriously?? Some advise: next time try an insult that actually been in use within the last twenty years.
At 4:49 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
I'm just kidding. I was both parts of that last conversation. I was just really bored, and no one had commented on this post yet. The Christmas song has been in my head all day, so I wrote it down here, but accidentally under "anonymous". The rest snowballed from there. I might just delete it all.
At 4:51 PM, February 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
And for the record, I know what levity and ambivalent both mean.
At 4:21 PM, February 04, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Laura,
I loved your thought! I was reading Shame Claiborne's book the other day and he was talking about his Calcutta experience and loving people there. And I had a similar thought to what you were saying about how it can be difficult to find ways to love in such powerful ways in our homeland. But at the end of the chapter on Calcutta, Shane talked about us finding our own Calcutta and loving people there. I think its hard to see the impact of love in a society and world that you have grown accustomed too; which is why I think it's easier to "love big" when you are in a completely different setting and world. But I truly believe that the grandness of love is the same in all situations and settings. I don't think God sits in Heaven and measures our capacity to love by the types of actions we are engaged in- with Him, it's all about heart. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: taking the time to have coffee with a friend when your busy and overwhlemed is just as meaningful as the love that the wives of the missionaries extended towards the people in Peru. Without people to love others in the small, mundane, hilly parts of life our everydays would fall apart. Great movements and great love are built from small moments and acts of charity.
I think our church sometimes places too much importance on missions (which they probably need to in order to receive support) and not enough on the day to day. But that's because those things often take more planning and strategery; but in the Kingdom they are definately NOT more important. I would say the best impact you can make is to love people even when you don't want to. Then you are moving greater mountains then most missionaries in the world (as they are often missionaries by choice).
Now I must read Steve's blog and see what Colleen is talking about.
At 11:30 AM, February 06, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Colleen - I know! I've had that argument with two or three other poeple on their blogs, who go to the UR. There's a dangerous tangent of thought that's going on for some reason.
Did you go to the UR yesterday? It was really good - Kurt talked about we have to be truth-tellers. He said that we have a responsibility to the truth, no matter how much it may hurt people, and that we're better people and better friends if we stick to what's true, in love.
He talked about the two extremes: how its bad to be a "truth cop" and just spew off truth without love, but how its equally bad to let you need to be liked by everyone mask the truth that you know. I was really proud of him for saying it.
At 11:33 AM, February 06, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Chen - good thoughts. I like it. :)
Also, am I the only one who stuck by the rules of this meal goup deal? Sure, I really like the book and would love to just keep reading, but we're only supposed to read chapters one and two for this week! Everyone I've spoken with has read ahead - maybe to the detrement of our discussions. Now everyone's going to be picking out things that others don't know yet. Rules are good for a reason! :)
(That rant was not directed at you).
At 4:57 PM, February 06, 2006,
chen said…
I'm not in meal groups. So I think its ok for me to read ahead.
I didn't go to UR yesterday, I went to a Superbowl party instead.
At 5:00 PM, February 06, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Chen - I said that it wasn't directed at you.
I went to two different superbowl parties, but I still went to church. (God love me more than you!!!)
(That was not directed at you).
At 4:21 PM, February 08, 2006,
Jordan said…
Laura I'm glad I read this because it was a great post. You're completely right about people's thinking on America. It's too bad so many evangelicals only think of other countries as potential mission fields. I need to work on this too. There are a ton of people suffering from the loneliness of materialism right here around us and with us that need Christ.
Hmm here's a thought.... Each type of person is ministered to more effectively in certain ways. Maybe it's somehow easier to see what needs to be done in other countries because there is such a profound contrast? I mean, take the End of the Spear example. A tribe holding an idea that they need to kill as many other tribes as possible to go to heaven is counter to the gospel in an obvious way. Maybe the materialism and self-reliance of the west is more difficult to minister to because it is a more subtle (yet no less lethal) contrast? I'm just muttering in print, so feel free to ignore it as nonsensical if it is.
At 10:57 AM, February 13, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Jordan - I think you make a lot of sence. :) Good thoughts.
Post a Comment
<< Home