Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Umm.... Ok.

So, this week hasn't really been stellar. It wasn't super great. On Monday we had lots of snow, so I didn't have to go to work. So instead, some friends and I decided to go thrift store shopping. Now, this usually isn't my forte, but I decided to give it a whirl. We were having fun, looking at stuff, and actually finding some decent clothes to get. The problem was, the facility didn't have a changing room.

Ok, no problem. My four friends and I took over a little corner of the store and began trying on stuff over our clothes. At one point, I needed a different size. So, I asked my friends if they would mind watching my purse for me. They said no, so I went over across the store. Normally, I take my pruse with me. But, I decided that it would be ok.

I went over to the rack I needed. Suddenly, I looked up and realized that three of my four friends were standing right by me, also lookin at more clothes. I gave the friend I had asked an inquisitive look, and she told me that our one other friend was still over by the changing corner, watching my stuff. Not being too satisfied with this, I decided to head over there and get my purse. But, when I got there, my purse was gone.

Aparently, my one friend left there guarding the rest of the girl's stuff was not briefed on the fact that my purse was on the ground. But even if she had, it probably would not have made that much difference. Right when the main group of my friends left the corner, a group of different women moved in. My friend was busy trying to clear a path for them, and they took the oportunity to steal my purse.

I ran arround for a while, not knowing what to do. The sales people were of absolutely no help at all. Now, being at a thrift store in the "hood", I would think that they'd have a protocol for this. Alas, they just suggested that I call the police. (Yeah. Duh. Thanks.) I wanted them to lock down the doors and search everyone! Use the little room in the back with a two-way mirror. I know you've got one! No? Oh.. ok.

So, within a flash, I had cancelled my check card and my checks from both of my banks, called the WI DMV and the social security office to report on those stolen cards. I called the bill companies of the three bills that I had had in my purse, ready to be mailed out, and any other company I could think of including Blockbuster to report my stolen card. I cried the whole time.

Then, an officer came to take down a report, which I also cried my way through. Besides the financial stuff (and every piece of ID that proves I am who I say I am), they also got my Bible, a letter written to my now-widowed Grandma, and a letter to my sponser kid in El Salvador. Is it mad to hope that the theives go through that stuff and feel really, really bad about what they did? I kind of hope that...

Get this: I called my bank back to ensure that everything had been put on hold, so that they burglers couldn't touch my money. (They're a good bank. I think I'll hold onto them for my first divorce, so that they husband can't touch my vast wealth. Wait, none of that will happen...) They informed me that those crooks had just tried to use my card twice at a Super America! They gave me the store number, and we called a random Super America to be directed to the right one. We got the address, and took off to get there, thinking that perhaps the bandits had just dropped my purse in the trash when they couldn't use my card. No dice, though.

Though I was really sad about it, I'll live. Pretty much everything can be replaced. My work payed all my bills for me, and I'll reimburse them. I can get new ID (though that is proving to be difficult, as the only other forms of ID I had (both of my health insurance cards, my U-card, etc.) were also in my purse. The one other thing I had was a birth certificate. This wasn't in my purse, but I had coincidentally just sent it in to get a passport, both of which are valid forms of ID that I'm also currently without. Sigh.), a new purse, new pictures, new lip gloss, etc. Its just stuff, and it can be replaced. I just hope that the theives toss it all, instead of trying to scam me on my identity, or health insurance.

Interestingly, I found that it was my reaction that I blamed God for this. It must just be a knee-jerk reaction in times of trouble or something, because I know better than that. God didn't take my purse. Some low-life, scum-bag degenerates who should-have-learned not-to-take-things-that-aren't-their's-when-they-were-in-kindergarden took my purse. Free will, baby. It can be a real pain.

But, I'm ok - just inconvenienced. Besides, I'd rather have the choice to love God or not, to love others or not than be forced to. At least that way, its genuine. And, I forgive the thieves as well. As hard as it is to sometimes admit, they are worth more than my purse. They are worth more to God, and so they need to be worth more to me. Besides, I deserve as much wrath as they do - we all do. Sure, its easy to hate them. And while its harder to forgive, its better for everyone in the end. (Although this doesn't mean I wouldn't prosecute them if I had the chance - actions do have consequences. Forgiving doesn't mean rolling over.)

11 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Laura,
    This is not cool.... People are mean. These types of things seem to be becoming more common. I'm glad your work is going to help cover you for a while at least--I haven't heard of that kind of thing. Maybe that's one of the overlooked benefits of working for a non-profit kind of place where people might actually care about each other. Anyway, is there anything the police can do? Are they going to try to follow the leads, like when they tried to use your card at SA?

     
  • At 10:48 AM, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Jordan!

    No, the police took down a report, but they said that there wasn't really anything that they could do.

    Another bad twist: I discovered that my spare car key was in my purse as well. It was the one from the dealer, so it has a tag with the year, make, and model of my car on it. So now, they could possibly come and steal my car, as they know where I live (my address was on my bills in my purse), what kind of car I have, and actually have the key. I'm going in sometime in the next three days to get the locks changed on my car, which will run about $300. Sigh. I hope they got something nice with the $5 that was in my purse.

    Yeah - my work is really nice. They're whole function is to help people with crisis needs - food, financial, etc. So, they've got my back. :)

    By the way - how did the interview at NC go? Was the trip better than the one to Calli? (I'm asuming it was, as there was not scathing blog entry about it).

     
  • At 2:01 PM, March 16, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    Hey Laura,

    I'm not an anarchist by any stretch, but your story is just one more reason I think a big chunk of the police force could be disbanded without any problem.

    Also, I think it's ridiculous that it is $300 for the lock change. I guess you have no choice about it though. It is worth the price if for no other reason than peace of mind.

    The trip to NC was nice, thanks for asking. There were three interviews. The first guy was a Christian and we had a nice conversation about faith and how it relates to medicine. We also discussed C.S. Lewis. That was very unexpected and neat. The other two were more so-so but the good news is I should find out their decision within a few days. They work fast.

    You should get a concealed carry permit then you can shoot people who look like they might try to steal your purse in the future.

    Just a thought....

    Jordan

     
  • At 2:50 PM, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a good idea, Jordan, but I don't think its legal to shoot someone for stealing your stuff, as long as there isn't emminent danger to your person. But, if I did, you can bet that those cops would spring into action pretty fast and earn some of that tax money. (Man, that's a depressing thought).

    Actually, the last time I went home, my Dad showed me a gun that I'd never seen of his before. It was a Smith and Wesson six-shooter from the about 1910. It was used by a train conductor - he kept it in his pocket so that he could shoot anyone who tried to rob his train. I really liked it - it fit nicely in my hand. Perhaps I was having a premonition?

    I'm glad your trip went well. I defenatly think that there's a good fit for you out there somewhere. :)

     
  • At 4:10 PM, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    laura,

    (yes, i read your blog too.)

    that sucks. i thought i lost my purse once, but i had just left it in a friend's car, so i got everything back... but i felt completely naked for about 24 hours. kudos to you for staying positive and being all responsible and everything.

    ~nicole~

    p.s. unless you started wearing super baggy gangsta pants, you'd have to keep the gun in your purse, which wouldn't really help if someone stole the purse...

    p.p.s. what DO women in hollywood eat?

     
  • At 4:27 PM, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Nicole -

    You are very wise - It would probably be quite the hassle if someone stole my concealed gun because they stole my purse... They'd probably use it to murder someone, then I'd get blamed for it because it was registered to me. Well... I could just report it stolen... then it would probably be ok. I would never want to start wearing baggy pants.

    I think that they do make really small, high-powered tazers that I could carry in my coat pocket.... That might have to go on the Christmas list next year. :)

    What do women eat in Hollywood? I don't really know. Probably not too much, though... I once heard that Cameron Diaz only eats one bowl of special K per day, and once a week she gets to put a bannana on it. But, she'd probably die if that's all she ate...

     
  • At 4:51 PM, March 16, 2006, Blogger Sam said…

    I'm sorry about your purse. I've had my wallet stolen before, so I know how much of a pain it is. I agree with Jordan. Get a gun and shoot people who look like they might steal from you. Or just shoot everyone so there is no one to steal from you..

     
  • At 6:05 PM, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I did that, I'd go to prison. If I went to Prison, would you fake a crime so that you'd get thrown in too, and have an elaborate tatoo made that's actually a blueprint of an escape plan, and bust me out?

     
  • At 10:45 PM, March 16, 2006, Blogger Sam said…

    I would try, of course, to get you out but I'm just not hot enough to pull it off.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Jordan said…

    I would help you if you went to prison, Laura. The thing is...I'm hot enough but not smart enough. Or maybe the other way around, I can never remember.

    That said.... At the concealed carry course I'm pretty sure they encouraged people to keep their guns on their person, not in a bag/briefcase/purse for the very reason you mentioned. This does present a problem for women (or gay guys) when they're wearing certain types of clothing. There are really tiny guns available, probably as small as that taser you mentioned, that could work and there are also a number of carry options (ankle holsters, probably thigh holsters, etc.). If none of those is appealing your best bet is to keep a gun-toting man nearby...or to live in abject fear. I'm pretty sure those are the only two options.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, March 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, but you're forgetting my sweet Kung Fu skills.... I'm pretty sure I could make anyone's continued existance quite difficult if they tried to full-out mess with me. Plus, I'm a hair-puller, so...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home