Question for the group:
To let everyone know, my Grandfather did die on Monday, and the funeral will be held on Friday, in Green Bay. He was Catholic, so we're having some sort of Catholic funeral. However, as the official "Bible expert" of the family, I was asked to pick out a couple of passages and read them at the funeral. With less than five minutes to decided what we were going to have (the lady was starring me down), I grabbed my trusty purse Bible and came up with these:
"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2: 4-9
"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." 1 John 4: 7-12
Any thoughts? I could still probably call them and change it up if anyone has anything that would work better. You see, I really want Christ to shine through in this funeral, especially because a lot of my family doesn't have a personal (or any) relationship with Him. So, I tried to pick some things out that talked about the love Christ has for them (and also my Grandpa).
The priest (father?) is going to do a little sermon (mass?) about the Beatitudes (my uncle really wanted that) and we're going to do some sort of rendition (probably singing?) of Psalm 23. I could have gone with another gospel passage, or and Old Testament passage, or whatever - so any ideas are welcome, as are prayers for my family. :)
"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2: 4-9
"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." 1 John 4: 7-12
Any thoughts? I could still probably call them and change it up if anyone has anything that would work better. You see, I really want Christ to shine through in this funeral, especially because a lot of my family doesn't have a personal (or any) relationship with Him. So, I tried to pick some things out that talked about the love Christ has for them (and also my Grandpa).
The priest (father?) is going to do a little sermon (mass?) about the Beatitudes (my uncle really wanted that) and we're going to do some sort of rendition (probably singing?) of Psalm 23. I could have gone with another gospel passage, or and Old Testament passage, or whatever - so any ideas are welcome, as are prayers for my family. :)

4 Comments:
At 2:31 PM, March 01, 2006,
Jordan said…
Laura,
I think those are good selections especially given the short amount of time you had. The first passage is very appropriate and the second I wasn't sure about, but since the what's-his-face is talking about the beatitudes I think it fits. Good job....
Your family is in my prayers,
Jordan
At 2:32 PM, March 01, 2006,
Jordan said…
Are you still in WI or are you having to go back again this weekend?
At 3:10 PM, March 01, 2006,
Anonymous said…
I left for WI after work on Friday, because he wasn't supposed to last the night. I can take three days off from work which don't count against either my vacation days or my sick days, so I figured I was safe. However, he hung in there until Monday, so I needed to come back and work on Wed and Thurs. I'll be heading back to WI after work on Thursday.
At 7:53 PM, March 02, 2006,
Sam said…
I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. I will be praying for you and your family. I think those verses you picked out are awesome. That is great that you are going to read those passages. Have a safe trip home and take care of yourself.
Post a Comment
<< Home