The Bottle Effect
Hello. I realize that I haven't posted anything in quite a while. The truth is, I've been waiting for something strange and exciting to happen, so that I can talk it up here. But, I just have to come to terms with the fact that I'm a rather boring person, most days.
So, in the aim of keeping this blog alive, I'm going to regail you all with another one of my highly thought-out and sophisiticated social theories. This one's call "The Bottle Effect".
I hear that the term "Bottle-Effect" has already been used for something or other in the science world. But no matter! My theory marches on. Catch the wave, won't you?

The Bottle Effect has to do with men wanting to date women, and women wanting to date men. It also has to deal with the women who don't want to date those men, and the men who don't want to date those women. It helps to throw a little light on why some people decide they want to date people who don't want to date them back.
As we go through life, we inevitably find ourselves in different social circles. We may hang with one group of people for happy hour each week, another for Bible study, and yet another to watch "24". These different groups, for purposes of this study, will now be known as "bottles".
In this world, there are billions of people, most not suitable for dating. There's a variatble "ocean" of folks who have nothing wrong with them - they might even be quite attractive. They're "just not the right person for you." Now, when choosing whom a person would like to date, its important to keep in mind certain factors, like attraction, religious affiliation, life-goals, blah blah blah. What I'm saying, is that we all have a long list of things that we're looking for, or are most compatible with. That's all well and good.
However, when that "certain someone" doesn't come along for a seemingly long period of time, there is a great temptation to "take stock" of your friends, co-workers, and anyone you just happen to spend time with. We tend to size them up, compare them, and see which one best fits the "shopping list" that we have for ourselves. Often, this can lead to a forced (although it might not feel like that) desire to court someone, that if we were looking at the bigger picture, we would not necessarily choose to date.
Get it? Normally, we would recognise a whole ocean of choices, and wait for someone who best suits us (and us, them). However, people often take a bottle and scoop out some of the water from the ocean, and concentrate all their attention on the people in the bottle. They've gone from looking within an ocean of choices, to a small bottle. This often results in people liking people who don't like them.
Yes, I know that you can't really fall in love with someone "out there in the world", but instead need to know them and have them be in a circle of yours. I'm not saying otherwise. What I'm saying (in this critically acclaimed theory) is that when The Bottle Effect is in play in your life, you're comparing all the people you hang with and are selecting the one that most resembles what you want. But, I believe that the person you're supposed to be with should be incomparable. (Now, everone take a big, girly, dreamy-eyed sigh... good.)
So there you go. The Bottle Effect. Lean from it and stop making people around you uncomfortable by starring at them all throughout happy hour. No one likes that.
So, in the aim of keeping this blog alive, I'm going to regail you all with another one of my highly thought-out and sophisiticated social theories. This one's call "The Bottle Effect".
I hear that the term "Bottle-Effect" has already been used for something or other in the science world. But no matter! My theory marches on. Catch the wave, won't you?
The Bottle Effect has to do with men wanting to date women, and women wanting to date men. It also has to deal with the women who don't want to date those men, and the men who don't want to date those women. It helps to throw a little light on why some people decide they want to date people who don't want to date them back.
As we go through life, we inevitably find ourselves in different social circles. We may hang with one group of people for happy hour each week, another for Bible study, and yet another to watch "24". These different groups, for purposes of this study, will now be known as "bottles".
In this world, there are billions of people, most not suitable for dating. There's a variatble "ocean" of folks who have nothing wrong with them - they might even be quite attractive. They're "just not the right person for you." Now, when choosing whom a person would like to date, its important to keep in mind certain factors, like attraction, religious affiliation, life-goals, blah blah blah. What I'm saying, is that we all have a long list of things that we're looking for, or are most compatible with. That's all well and good.
However, when that "certain someone" doesn't come along for a seemingly long period of time, there is a great temptation to "take stock" of your friends, co-workers, and anyone you just happen to spend time with. We tend to size them up, compare them, and see which one best fits the "shopping list" that we have for ourselves. Often, this can lead to a forced (although it might not feel like that) desire to court someone, that if we were looking at the bigger picture, we would not necessarily choose to date.
Get it? Normally, we would recognise a whole ocean of choices, and wait for someone who best suits us (and us, them). However, people often take a bottle and scoop out some of the water from the ocean, and concentrate all their attention on the people in the bottle. They've gone from looking within an ocean of choices, to a small bottle. This often results in people liking people who don't like them.
Yes, I know that you can't really fall in love with someone "out there in the world", but instead need to know them and have them be in a circle of yours. I'm not saying otherwise. What I'm saying (in this critically acclaimed theory) is that when The Bottle Effect is in play in your life, you're comparing all the people you hang with and are selecting the one that most resembles what you want. But, I believe that the person you're supposed to be with should be incomparable. (Now, everone take a big, girly, dreamy-eyed sigh... good.)
So there you go. The Bottle Effect. Lean from it and stop making people around you uncomfortable by starring at them all throughout happy hour. No one likes that.

5 Comments:
At 6:06 PM, May 02, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Oh - I guess the science term is "bottle-neck effect". Whatever - CLA all the way baby!
At 9:40 PM, May 02, 2006,
Anonymous said…
I love your blogs, laura! keep it up. you are such an excellent writer.
♥
Brooke
At 12:47 AM, May 03, 2006,
Sam said…
Unfortunately, I've got the inside on the bottle effect from the rarely showering, lab dwelling, nobel-prize craving science world. It happens regarding genetics and called a "genetic bottleneck". This happens when a population is so small (or largely inbred) that the amount of genetic variation is limited, so each subsequent generation begins to express hidden genetic defects. Ultimately, the population will die out unless more genetic variation is introduced. Anyway, I totally support your theory and know that we all take stock in our surroundings and consider those around us. Way to point that out. Oh, and if you are really my friend you will beat me up and take my lunch money the next time you see me for my above discussion.
At 8:28 AM, May 03, 2006,
chen said…
i see the bottle effect...i think it's a solid theory although i've never really experienced it. all the guys i've dated, i've found in the "ocean" and then scooped into the bottle...can that happen oh wise one?
also, sam...thanks for sharing your thoughts on scientific bottlenecks. i'll think i'll restrain myself from talking about manufacturing bottlenecks.
At 11:04 AM, May 03, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Brooke - thanks! :)
Sammy,
I was an anthropologist. I spent countless hours in labs and classroom listening to "earthy" looking professors drone on about evolution theory with a big smile on my face. If anyone deserves to be beaten down, it is me.
I think we should together walk through the cool section of the cafateria and have people knock our lunch trays down. That would be the only acceptable punishment for our nerdyness.
Chen,
I think scooping guys out of the ocean and into a bottle is a very good idea. There's nothing wrong with meeting and clicking with someone new, and then incorporating them into your life and vice versa. Good work, my friend. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home