Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yet another abuse of power...

Later this week, I will be attending the wedding of my friends Chris and Katie.



In my utter excitement, I decided that I should try to look pretty good. I love going to weddings, especially weddings that feature good friends, and any excuse to look good is a good one to me.

So, with this goal in mind, I called Stila. Who is Stila, you wonder? Well you're wrong right off the bat. Stila is the name of my favorite brand of beauty products/makeup. Much of my makeup is made up of Stila products, and I often head toward their beauty counter when I have an important event to go to and want to get pretty. They have always been located in the Nordstrom's department store, in the MOA.

I called up Nordstroms and asked to be transfered, which they happilly did. Let it be known that I have nothing against Nordstroms. The phone rang and rang, until the Nordstroms operator picked back up. After several more attempts to reach Stila, she transfered me over to a neighboring counter to see if they could find them for me. I was then informed that Stila was no longer at Nordstroms, but had moved to the Sephora store in the MOA. No problem at all. I was transfered back to the operator, and, after informing her of her store's new little detail, she transfered me to Sephora. Who needs cell phone minutes anyway?

Then I called Sephora, and spoke to Stila. (Yes, this does sound like a phone call to the James Bond Girls' home. Guys - aren't you glad you don't have to deal with this...) I explained that I have always been a faithful customer, and was wondering if they could fit me in to have my makeup done. I also pointed out that I would be purchasing several things to replenish my makeup stockpile.

Much to my dismay, they informed me that they could not do makeup on the day of an event, but only several days before. It was their new policy. This, I do have a problem with. Obviously, they want to do the makeup several days before so that the customer falls in love with "the look" and has to buy all the makeup that went into creating that look, spending a lot of money at Stila. This is utterly ridiculous.

First of all, these people are TRAINED in the art of makeup, as they do it for a living. Even if people buy all the makeup needed to create a certain look, they will certainly suck at creating that look for a long time until they themselves master the needed skills.

Second of all, do they not have any faith in their own products? I'm here to tell you that Stila products are good. Darn good. I wouldn't spend so much money on them if they weren't. And that's the kicker - I ACTUALLY SPEND MONEY ON THEM ALREADY, and have for several years! And, I was actually going to buy some the day I came in to get my makeup done. I do not need to be tricked into spending money on them. In case you didn't get the memo, Stila, some people are competent enough to spot good products that suit their needs. Wouldn't it be better a more honorable business practice for you, dear Stila, to allow the customers to test the products out and test new looks out when they want?

"Why is this not under you famous blog series entitled "The Most Dangerous of our species"" you ask? Well, that series is entirely devoted to people who simply want to feel better about themselves by expressing their perceived great amount of power over other people and wind up being more anoying than anything else. Stila, on the other hand, is not doing this to flex their power musscles. They're just in it for the money. Though they are still anonying.

Yes, I could have just told them that my event was on Sunday, instead of Friday, and had my makeup done when I wanted. However, businesses that make me stoop to juvenile antics such as that don't really deserve my putting in that much effort to do it. So, I called up my old pal Nordstroms again, and asked to be connected to the Este Lauder counter. Rest assured, I will be looking pretty darn good afterall.

Though, I may still need to buy what I was going to buy at Stila anyway... its just so darn good!

You win, Stila... You always do...

10 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger chen said…

    Huh, I never knew that you could get your makeup done like that on the day of an event...that's so cool...I am learning so much from you, my future roommate.

    ps Way to stick it to Sephora

     
  • At 4:12 PM, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah - usually they love it. Its a way for them to show off their new products to tempt you into buying more stuff. Its a great selling tool. Sometimes I go in just to get my makeup done, but I usually feel bad, so I try to only go when I have stuff to buy anyway.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've always read about Stila but never tried it. Hmmmmmm... perhaps a trip to Sephora is in order :)

     
  • At 4:45 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Mark said…

    I went with Missy (roomate of molly etc) to some makeup place cause she had to pick up her paycheck. It was creepy. I don´t want to ever enter a makeup store/booth area type thing ever again. Ive been in the internet cafe for 2 hours and 15 min. Its my record by far. only 4 more hours until my bus leaves. Today I bought a Maxim and Men´s health magazine. I wanted to read something in spanish besides the newspaper. I felt like I was buying porn and that the cashier lady was probably cursing me in her head. Is that normal? I´m getting hungry. They play that gasolina song here all the time. I don´t like that either. Laura, you are my hero. Time to write on Jordan´t blog. adios amiga

     
  • At 4:55 PM, June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't worry Marky, you're not a pervert. I own a copy of Men's Health as well! I was getting some car repair work done, and they had it in the lobby to read. It has Brett Favre on the cover and features an interview with him that solidifies my view that he is one of the greatest men who's ever lived. I asked if I could have it and they said I could!

    Also, I've read Maxim before. Its perhaps a little racey, but all in all not that bad.

    I'd be more worried if you said you'd picked up a Glamour and a Cosmo.

     
  • At 4:57 PM, June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nicole -

    They only have one in the Mall of America, on the West side, second floor. I've discovered that its kind of like the Walmart of makeup. But, Stila is still good stuff. I wonder why they sold out...

     
  • At 8:16 PM, June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe i should do that.

    I am feeling a bit opaque lately.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, June 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Update:

    I went to Este Lauder, but they were too busy. So, they transfered me over to the MAC counter, which is fine. That's actually who I would have liked to go to anyway, and she did a real sweet job.

     
  • At 2:51 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    Laura,

    Of course you may take any and all pictures from my blog and destroy them in any and all ways possible. Jordan has a handgun though and wé're pretty good friends...

    Anyway, you looked great at our wedding. I must confess, though, that I didn't get much time for my eyes to really focus on anyone in particular except my beautiful wife.

    I hate stupid beurocracy. I blame it on the French cause the word is French itself.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awe, thanks Chris. I think Katie looked beautiful at your wedding too. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home