YES!!!!!!!
I just figured out that its my half-birthday today! By definition, half-birthdays are a day that falls on the same day of the month, six calendar months away from the real birthday. Hooray! Today I'm officially 26.5 years old!

I never knew about half birthdays until a year or two, which I think is good. I mean, come on - why does anyone really need a half-birthday for anyway? You already get a birthday (you know, the day you were born). A half-birthday (half a year after the day you were born) makes as much sence as celebrating a 13 week marriage anniversary. Besides, aren't we all a little old to be saying our age in 26.5 or 32.25 format?
As far as I can figure, half-birthdays were created for lazy people who have birthdays falling near Christmas and don't want to go to the trouble of having another party with relatives. They could also be for school children whose birthdays fall in the summer, and therefore can't celebrate with their class. Then they don't feel as special as regular kids, and grow up to have issues.
When you really think about it, half birthdays are a bit unfair. Anyone can have an actual birthday. (Technically, don't you need one to be considered "alive"?) But, some people don't get a half-birthday. Specifically, people who were born on March 31, May 31, August 29 (except in leap years), August 31, October 31 or December 31.
My theory is that half-birthdays were invented by parents to get their kids to shut up for one more day out of the year. Much like St. Nick's Day (I also never understood this one: a holiday requiring you to buy presents right before Christmas, where you have to buy presents???), this "holiday" seems to be completely useless. And, I am glad my parents didn't feel the need to celebrate. Doesn't it make your birthday less special when there's two of them?
Are there any people out there who take half-birthday's seriously? I hope not, cuz man, if you get mad at me for not remembering your half-birthday... we might not be hanging together all that much in the future.

I never knew about half birthdays until a year or two, which I think is good. I mean, come on - why does anyone really need a half-birthday for anyway? You already get a birthday (you know, the day you were born). A half-birthday (half a year after the day you were born) makes as much sence as celebrating a 13 week marriage anniversary. Besides, aren't we all a little old to be saying our age in 26.5 or 32.25 format?
As far as I can figure, half-birthdays were created for lazy people who have birthdays falling near Christmas and don't want to go to the trouble of having another party with relatives. They could also be for school children whose birthdays fall in the summer, and therefore can't celebrate with their class. Then they don't feel as special as regular kids, and grow up to have issues.
When you really think about it, half birthdays are a bit unfair. Anyone can have an actual birthday. (Technically, don't you need one to be considered "alive"?) But, some people don't get a half-birthday. Specifically, people who were born on March 31, May 31, August 29 (except in leap years), August 31, October 31 or December 31.
My theory is that half-birthdays were invented by parents to get their kids to shut up for one more day out of the year. Much like St. Nick's Day (I also never understood this one: a holiday requiring you to buy presents right before Christmas, where you have to buy presents???), this "holiday" seems to be completely useless. And, I am glad my parents didn't feel the need to celebrate. Doesn't it make your birthday less special when there's two of them?
Are there any people out there who take half-birthday's seriously? I hope not, cuz man, if you get mad at me for not remembering your half-birthday... we might not be hanging together all that much in the future.

6 Comments:
At 10:40 PM, July 26, 2006,
Anonymous said…
so should i take your present back to the thrift store? I'm not sure if they'll let me return things
mt
At 10:37 AM, July 27, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Awe - you went to the thrift store just for me? You're so sweet. :)
At 3:42 AM, August 02, 2006,
Anonymous said…
You know I've always thought that it's more interesting to know your actual conception date. Since I am a pro-lifer, I think of life starting at conception ... so that would be the most accurate of "nothing to something" date. That would be cooler than a birthdate.
I think my son-to-come's conception date is SE-CR-ET.
At 10:36 AM, August 02, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Yeah, it would be strange if everyone celebrated their conceptdate instead of their birthdate.
At 2:25 AM, August 03, 2006,
Mark said…
Here is some half birthday advice. Don't wear white pants to work. They will always get dirty. My dad taught me this when I was like 4. I wasn't even allowed to have white shoes. Secondly, don't drink coffee. It's addictive and really hot. It's summer, drink ice cream. And finally, if you're going to ignore all my advice, at least listen to this one: get one of those no-spilly cups. I doubt that's what they're actually called but I like that name. And i'm not talking about the gas station ones that all those hip college kids have (those are no spill I think), we want no spilly. The small cups that little kids drink out of with the plastic lid and the sort of 1cm long straw. listen to me, i had those when i was a kid and i never spilled. your apple juice will go nowhere except yoru belly.
At 10:04 PM, August 05, 2006,
Anonymous said…
Thanks Marky,
If I have any more problems, I'll be sure to let you know. You can be my problem consultant. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home