Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Aren't we glad we're all grown up now?

The other day I was running errands around town. I decided to head off to Cub to pick up a few things I needed. Everything was going fine for a while - just as planned. Strawberries? Check. Bread? Check. Ice cream? Check.

Almost done, I rounded the corner on the hunt for contact lens solution. Suddenly, something made me stop dead in my tracks. There, straight ahead of me, was a man standing in the aisle doing some shopping of his own. Now, everyone has had a person like this in their life at one time or another; that one person who you mysteriously crush on more than you want to admit, for way longer than you want to admit.

Whenever you come into contact with this person, no matter what the circumstances, it can cause a myriad of reactions. For me, it felt like I'd just been socked in the stomache, and didn't quite know what to do next. Confusion and shock flooded my mind, and for the briefest of instances, I lost all sense of reason or logic. The only message that was able to get through my brain was short and sweet: RUN!!!

I'd like to say that I ignored that juvenile response and walked over to say hi, dazzling him with my maturity and wit. Yeah, that would be nice. Instead, I turned on my heal and booked over to the other end of the store where my need for paper towels suddenly became a top priority.

It was only later that I realized how ridiculous it must have looked, if not insulting, to have someone you know recognize you only to turn around and run away. Luckily, I don't think this guy noticed me - at least I hope not. It was defenatly not my intention to turn into a total spaz.

Oh well - there's always next time. Here's to hoping that I'll react with fight instead of flight because, let's face it, I can be pretty dazzling when I give myself half a chance.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    welcome to my world.

    mark

     
  • At 9:29 PM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ps, i remember sometime when i was in japan i left a comment on your blog when you were talking about guys not wanting you to know something about football...or something. did that make any sense? and i said something like....just say so and so is the best punt returner in NFL history. if you remember the persons name....don't ever say it. it's bad. i can't even repeat it. i hope all is well in the house of the beaut. i'll c u again someday. markito

     
  • At 12:56 PM, September 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I apologize. You were right, I didn't even know. I guess we will just have to shop at different grocery stores from now on... :)

     
  • At 4:34 PM, September 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marky -

    No worries - I actually forgot that you said that. Yeah, that was the night I got into a word-fight with a guy who was threatened by my football knowledge. Chump.

    Brett -

    Shoot, and they had all the brands I like. :(

    I'm sure everyone is asking, but how's the job-hunt going?

     
  • At 4:59 PM, September 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's going slow...still going though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home