Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What's to be done?

A friend of mine and I had a discussion the other night about various nightclub antics. You see, she had been out with a group of our friends and her brother at a popular German restraunt/nightclub to have a couple drinks and dance. This club is one of the best ones in the Twin Cities, both for fun-level and lack of skeezy guys. Usually, it's just a fun night out with your friends without worrying about some drunk loser bothering you.

However, on this night, one such young man decided that it would be a grand idea to come up and grab her (while in the bar area, mind you - not on the dance floor). This didn't sit too well with her brother, who grabbed him by the throat thereby convincing him to leave. My friends had a conversation about the incident and decided that whoever the next girl to get asulted (we've all been there, probably on more than one occasion) should immediately slap the assailent, because he deserves it.

I took exception to their new-found mission statement. I don't have any love for these jerks, mind you, but I just don't see what good slapping them could possibly do. Whenever this happens to me, I tend to be very non-confrontational and just basically try to get away from the situation. I mean, we're dealing with drunk guys who don't care about anyone but themselves. Sure, no guy has the right to walk up and put their hands on a girl without that girl's permission despite how she may be dressed or where they may be located. But seriously, no guy is going to say, "I really see your point and apreciate your logical look at this situation. I will change my behavior from this point on. Thank you" by yelling at him or slapping him.

Plus, if the girl were to slap the guy, various outcomes could occure including:

-The guy could hit back
-The two groups of people could get into a fight
-The girl could get thrown out of the club
-Everyone could get thrown out of the club
-The guy could file assult charges against the girl

None of these possible outcomes are preferable. I'm not a coward or anything. I believe that force is sometimes very necessary for good to win out over evil. But in encounters like this, I just can't see a better option than to simply walk away even though it lets the guy off the hook. Any thoughts?

5 Comments:

  • At 12:51 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    I don't think guys would hit back if slapped. If so, our society is so far gone that it's not worth saving. Now if you punched them, that's wrong too.

    Anyway, I say slap 'em. It actually shows your feminity and self-respect. Guys will actually respect you more (even if drunk) if you slap them (when deserved, of course). So I say do it.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, October 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris is right, I think you should slap him. I think that the risk of any of your “various outcomes” happening is very low. Or perhaps the better answer is to keep bringing your brother with you.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, November 04, 2006, Blogger Sam said…

    Right hook, left hook, right uppercut. But that's just me (and no one has ever tried anything). However, if I was with a guy I would want him to handle it because he should stand up for me, and I don't like to get my hands dirty if possible.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, November 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alright that settles it. I'll bring Sam with me as security next time I go out. :)

     
  • At 7:03 PM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm... I'd say to kick the guy in the groin as hard as is humanly possible. If that doesn't work, kick him twice.
    Slapping in the face works too, especially if you are wearing large metal gauntlets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home