Ancient Connections

Borneo Cave Art, by Paul G. Bahn
"Two groups of caves decorated with hundreds of hand stencils have been discovered in northeastern Borneo, within the borders of Indonesia, confirming the presence of cave art on the island. Based on stylistic comparisons with cave paintings on nearby islands, the researchers believe the art may be between 8,000 and 20,000 years old.
The caves have three panels with hand stencils in a seemingly purposeful arrangement; alternating left and right hands are arranged in a fan-like design. One unusual feature is that some of the hands contain internal lines or dots that call to mind "X-ray" representations found in Australian aboriginal rock art."
Most people couldn't care less about stuff like this, but I just get so excited about it! To me, these hand silouettes represent the people who made them. These were actual, living, breathing people who lived up to 20,000 years ago.
I think, that most people think "cave" people spent their days worrying about gathering their next meal and watching out for saber-tooth tigers. They probably did do that, but they also took the time to ink their hands into the wall of a cave. Why?
I believe its the same reason people create works fo art now, or even put graffiti on public buildings. Deep down, we all want to be remembered. We want to stand up and shout "I was here once! I lived. I breathed. I had important thoughts in my head and words to say. I immagined great things, and did great things. I was unique, one of a kind. I wasn't expendable - I was irreplaceable. And I shouldn't be forgotten!"
These were people with souls, with hopes and with dreams. And though we live in a completely different physical world than they did, I believe we had a lot in common. We were both made by the same Creator, in His immage. We were both made for eternity, and in this fallen world where our lives seem to be so short, we desperately want to have something that lasts.
I think that these people are as precious as we are now, and that's why I get excited to see something that they left behind. Not that perhaps I'll leave something of myself for others to find, but that I will live on for all eternity with my Lord and King. And it gives me hope to know that we can't be so different from each other today, if we had so much in common with someone who was alive 20,000 years ago.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home