Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

To the Glory of God



Biblical Pool Uncovered in Jerusalem
"Workers repairing a sewage pipe in the Old City of Jerusalem have discovered the biblical Pool of Siloam, a freshwater reservoir that was a major gathering place for ancient Jews making religious pilgrimages to the city and the reputed site where Jesus cured a man blind from birth, according to the Gospel of John."

This is an amazing story. As an anthropoligist, I'm always SO interested in the discovery of old places and ancient artifacts. However, I find myself asking why this was uncovered. If you read the article, you've discovered that "coincidentally", there have been several clues left behind so that archiologists can determine the date of the pool very sufficient accuracy. There just happened to be some coins embedded in the plaster that dated back to the building of the pool, and more coins were found in the dirt nearby, all in the same area.

I don't believe in coincedences. I think that there's a reason for everything that happens. So, I believe that God wanted this pool discovered. He made is so there wouldn't be a shadow of a doubt that this was the Biblical Pool of Siloam. God is so remarkable complex and detailed. I think that He was working in the worker who built that part of the steps to put those coins in there, He was working in the countless generations since then to not find it, and he was working in the sewer system maintnence guys to find it and recongnize what it was. But why go to all the trouble?

In the artical, it says that this goes furthur to validate the Gospel of John as historical fact, rather than fiction or even allegory made up by John. In fact, nothing that has ever been found has disproven the Bible. It has always been proven as accurate.

I think that this pool was discovered so that God would get glory, so that people would take a minute and recognise the reality of God. And God needs to, He should be glorified. Perhaps its just a moment given to us busy and unbelieving humans, a moment for us to look at God and know the truth. To be able to see God working through thousands of years to bring us furthur proof of Himself, though we don't deserve it. This pool shows His goodness to us, and I really hope that I'll continue to be thankful for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home