Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

My car is trying to kill me.

Well ok, to be fair I think it's really trying to kill itself but realizes it needs me driving it to succeed in it's mission. I was driving back from Green Bay to Minneapolis this past weekend, and it was dark out and raining. I just get to that really long stretch of 94 where there are no exits, when it really starts to downpour. My car choose that very moment to set it's treacherous plan into motion.

Out of nowhere, the driver's side windshield wiper pops loose and starts to spin around like a pinwheel on it's base. While this may not sound too dramatic, I assure you it's pretty difficult to see when this happens. The wiper's not making contact with my windshield anymore, so I can't see anything out that half of it. It is making contact with my hood, though, thunking down onto it and bending itself in half in the process. Spin spin thunk. Spin spin thunk. Sick.

Now, it had been raining all weekend long and this didn't happen until the best possible time to crash. You can see the diabolicalness here. So, I'm leaning over to the passenger side in a desperate attempt to see out the windshield while driving through the pouring rain in the middle of the night. All the while I'm cursing my car and my piece-of-crap wiper. I have to drive nearly ten miles this way until the first somewhat decent turn-off comes up.

I turn off and pull up to the gas station, which is named the "Kum And Go", by the way. Whatever - at this point I'm just thankful there's somewhere to stop. I attempt to examine my wiper, which pops off and disintegrates in my hand. Great. I walk into the store not expecting much but to have to drive the rest of the way to Minneapolis with my head in the passenger seat. However, they miraculously have wipers for sale in the store, and they have the size I need! I go to ring it up, and there's a trucker-type man at the counter chatting with the clerk. I pay for my wiper (only $6.00!) and without a word, the trucker takes my new wiper from the clerk and proceeds to head over to my car to attach it. Amazing! Who knows how long I'd have been out there fumbling with the damn thing on my own.

Actually, I've been pretty blessed when it comes to men being around while I'm having car issues (ie my car tries to off me). When my tire went flat in -50 degree weather this winter, a nice man came out and told me to go sit in my car while he filled it up with air. And now this nice trucker-man just attaches my wiper for me in about 30 seconds. I consider it sort of a consolation prize for not having a boyfriend.

So, my wiper got fixed and my cutter car lost for the time being. Laura one, car zero. I am heading back to Green Bay this weekend, though. If I survive, I'll keep you posted on how that goes. Though, my car might be onto me and bide it's time for a while. Until then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home