Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Photo Project!

So, I was walking my friend's dogs the other day when I came across one of the coolest things I've ever come across in my decade living in this city. I was waltzing through the Tangletown Neighborhood in South Minneapolis as I stumbled upon this:


Wow. This is the Washburn Water Tower. Built in 1931, it's listed on the National Register for Historic Places and one of three stone water towers in Minneapolis. The other's being the Prospect Park Witches Hat Tower and the Kenwood Park Water Tower. It features eight eagles and eight "Guardians of Health" surrounding it. The guards were placed there to ensure a healthy water supply and fight against Typhoid, a disease which ran rampant at that time. Though it's perched on one of the highest natural points in the city, you cannot see it until you're basically on top of it. The neighborhood surrounding it is a tangled mass of hilly, heavily wooded, dead-end streets.







I decided that I must live where I can see this tower every day at some point in my life. The thing is pretty sweet.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:20 PM, October 01, 2009, Blogger Mike said…

    Laura, I think we're water tower buddies. We went to the Witch Hat Tower the same day and now I stumbled upon this one a few weeks after you! Definitely a crazy piece, especially because I had no idea it was there and you really can't see it until you're right there. A nice little minneapolis hidden treasure :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home