Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Only in America

The other day I logged onto my internet service at work. Ever friendly, the MSN.com homepage was quick to bring to light lots of helpful information and informative articles. One entitled, "Beign Poor and Happy" immediately caught my eye. Hitting very close to home, I decided that it was definietly worth checking out. To my dismay, this is what popped up when I clicked it:




The requested page is not available and/or does not exist.


Can't find what you're looking for?
Try MSN Search!
Not being one to back down from a fight, I decided to take MSN Search! up on their offer and plugged "Being Poor and Happy" into the engine. Among the top results was some site called "zigzachly" with a tagline that read "Being poor is being happy - when someone drops a mac and cheese on the floor. Dinner!"

This wasn't really what I was looking for.

There was also a page actually called poorbuthappy.com, but it mainly spoke of "working without at job" or some other such nonsense. Still not a quitter, I pressed on and can report that the best things I found were articles on spiritual wealth vs. poverty and how you should not spend money when you're in the hole. It was all very, how can I say it... I guess "duh" would be the best word to use. I soon forgot why I was originally interested in the topic in the first place, and turned my attention to my 10 calorie sugar-free jello snack cup. At least no one can say I'm not working hard for the money.

***********UPDATE**************

Upon opening my afore-mentioned home page this morning, I came across the article I'd originally been searching for, only now it was entitled "The High Life at Low Cost: Rich guys don't stay that way by buying bling!". Vastly different from "Being Poor and Happy", the article spoke of such grandeur as

"Drive The Hottest Car In The Hood": James Bond had an Aston Martin DB5. Steve McQueen, a 1968 Mustang. You have . . . a Kia? Your salvation: a classic sports car, says Joe Lorio, senior editor at Automobile magazine...

"Wow Her With Cheap Flowers": Dropping $70 on a dozen roses isn't just expensive, it's obvious; but an arrangement of tropical leaves is an even better alternative -- they can deliver the same aesthetic punch for a third of the cost...

"Eat At Five-Star Restaurants": Taking culinary advice from an expense-account-wielding food critic is like soliciting gas-mileage advice from Halliburton. Instead, turn to the people who understand value best: devoted foodies who shell out precious greenbacks for every morsel they consume...

So come on! Join MSN and say together in one voice that happiness does indeed come from buying lots of stuff and impressing all the yuppies that surround you on a daily basis. Blau Blau Blau!

7 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM, March 09, 2007, Blogger Mark said…

    that's pretty funny. the key is to steal money from rich people. 1, you will be rich]
    2, you will be happy cause you're rich
    3, you will be happy knowing they did all the work and you have their money
    4, you will be happy knowing that at that very moment they are sad because they are now poor just like you used to be.

    I've just realized that I've had my headphones on and haven't heard any music for 20 minutes. Yay!

     
  • At 2:52 PM, March 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a good look Mark - when people just wear headphones or blue teeth (blue toothes?) around all day while obviously not using them. Kudos. :)

     
  • At 12:34 AM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    Does dropping the food on the floor have anything to do with your recent chain of nutritional mishaps? Maybe MSN Search! was so good that it knew what you really needed.

     
  • At 12:37 AM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    Holy crap I hate that! People wear blue tooth earpieces all the time down here... but I think it's everywhere, to be honest. That is certainly near the top of the "stuff that people I don't know do that bothers me" list. I don't care about headphones, though.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, March 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris -

    I don't think that MSN Search! can be that all-seeing. I'd much more likely be the one dropping the mac' rather than just stumbling across some and having it for dinner. Mac' isn't somehing that the five-second rule applies to - I still have my standards. :)

    Also, I agree - the term "douchbag" comes to mind when I see people earing their blue tooth devices around all day. However, I try to be the bigger person and think good thoughts.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have a blue tooth, just a few yellow and brown ones. hahaha. stupid.

    Sometimes the music just ends and then you forget you are wearing headphoens. Why do I even feel like I haev to defend myself.

    My biggest pet peeve about people is still the leg bounce. And I just had an exam on 10 chapters of anat/phys. That is a pet peeve too. And my spring break starts after my next class....or now if i skip it. Laura, what are we doing? FBM. That stands for Facebook me. Which I believe is the same as saying "send me a message via facebook."

    mark

     
  • At 12:09 PM, March 16, 2007, Blogger Laura Ibsen said…

    Mark,

    Thanks for explaining what "FBM" means instead of just assuming I'd get it. I would have been stumped. I will go thusly and do so.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home