Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Drinking Problem

People have often asked me, "Laura, what was your most embarrassing moment?" To that, I typically answer that rather than having one specific moment to point to, my life has been more of a montage of embarrassment. But it's all good - I just tell myself that it's making me a better person. Case in point:

A few weeks back, I wrote about an eating disorder that I have involving either dropping food in my own lap or chucking food into the laps of other during times of high importance, like birthday parties or business meetings. Well, it turns out that I have a drinking problem to go along with it. I was recently at a house party hosted by a few very good friends of mine. To add a touch of romance (since my life is currently so chock full), I decided to contribute a bottle of champagne and some strawberries to the festivities. The party was going well and everyone seemed to be having a good time, so I whipped out my camera to record the merriment.

At one point, I was sitting next to a guy that I knew of but didn't really know. So, I was chatting him up and a couple friends of mine came up to me and asked if I'd take their picture. "Sure," I said, thinking I could hadle this simple request, "no problem." Now picture this: the camera was in my right hand, a glass of champagne in my left. Being right hand dominent, I concentrated all my effort into turning my wrist to lift the camera up to my face. Alas, as I did this I forgot to pay attention to what my left hand was doing and I, as well, turned that hand with the same motion as I did the right. Yup - you got it. I voluntarily dumped my entire glass of champagne straight down my shirt.

Now, typically I'd think that instances like this just add furthur proof that I'm not fit for social interaction of any kind. But, after I had run to the bathroom to do damage control on my champagne shirt (which by that time had seeped down to my pants as well), I decided that it really made me more loveable when I did things like that. My friends were lucky, yeah that was it. Besides, it's great blog fodder. I mean, basically, the entire point of having a blog in my opinion is to make a joke out of all the stupid shit you do on a daily basis for the entertainment of others. It really helps you cope, believe me.

Until the next tale of social excellence!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:10 AM, March 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think your lack of independent hand motion could bring about some good skills. Since you really only have to worry about one hand, it frees up your brain to do other tasks. That has to be good somehow.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Laura Ibsen said…

    Yes - like a savant who can't button their shirt yet can play beautiful piano concertos, my lack of depth perception, inability to perform simple tasks and unawarness of my own dimensions surely must be good for something. :)

     
  • At 12:52 PM, March 09, 2007, Blogger Colleen said…

    Laura - I can so relate to this problem. I seem to have in the most inappropriate situations - such as on a date, or at a work luncheon. It sucks.

     
  • At 1:20 PM, March 09, 2007, Blogger Laura Ibsen said…

    Colleen:

    Even if you do share in my problem, you are a master at looking beautiful and classy while you do it. :) Like I said, the best we can do it turn it to our advantage in trying to make us more loveable.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home