Pink Blog

Nobody has any idea what they're doing.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Hidden Talent Alert!

Hidden talents, by my definition, are certain qualities that one discoveres that they posess, that aren't typical or "the norm". If everyone can do it, and you just discovered that you can do it to, it's not a hidden talent. That's just you catching up. Also, you have to be instantly good at them. Sure, you can practice and get better, but you need to have a natural apt for it.

It's always very exciting to discover that you have a hidden talent. I'm not sure what the ratio is: whether people tend to have many or not. I know that there are poeple out there who are naturally great at everything, and people out there who just plain suck. But what's the average? To date, I had only had two hidden talents to my name. This first is downhill skiing. The first time I ever got the chance to go was a couple years ago. I went up the mountain with several friends, never having skiied in my life. But, within the first few runs I'd figured out how to do it. By the end of the first day I'd whipped the blues and greens into submission. By day two, I'd tackled the black diamonds, and all without falling or crashing into anyone/anything. It was very exciting indeed.

My second hidden talent is hatchet throwing. I discovered it while on a camping trip in Wisconsin. It was a very nice weekend: we hung out in the sun, eating wild raspberries and enjoying each other's company. It was in this setting that I decided it would be fun to pick up a small hatchet we had with us and hurl it at the nearest tree. I grabbed the handle, wound up and tossed it. It went end over end until it landed right in the middle of the trunk with a thud. To my surprise, I hit my mark almost every time I threw it. If my life ever takes a turn for the worse, I now know that I can always fall back on joining the circus. Anyone want to be the target that I skillfully miss?

Why do I bring this up, besides the fact that it's infinitely interesting? I have recently discovered a new hidden talent! What is it, you ask? Well, I'll tell you.

Driver's Licence Pictures!

Now normally when I take pictures, I always end up looking all awkward and weird. Suffice it to say, I've always believed myself to be not very photogenic. But, for some reason, whenever I go in to take a dl pic I knock it out of the park every time! I may need to hire a dl photographer for life's bigger milestones, like marriage and stuff. As evidence of my dl photogenic aptitude, I present my most recent picture. It was taken just a few week's ago, as my old licence was about to expire on my birthday.


Oh yeah - that's hidden talent all the way. I would have showed all my dl pics, but, sadly, I don't have many of them anymore. The best I can do is a timeline of my dl history.

DL#1 - taken when I was 16. Couldn't find it, but may still have it - would have to dig through tons more stuff
DL#2 - taken when I was 18. Stolen when purse was by vicious band of thrift store thieves
DL#3 - taken when I was 26. Only used for part of the year until my birthday, when I switched from WI to MN

So, there you go. My epitaph will read: Laura J. Ibsen: skiier, hatchet thrower, looked damn good on a driver's licence. Anybody else have any hidden talent???

2 Comments:

  • At 10:39 PM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Chris Hill said…

    That's a dang good picture. I don't really have any hidden talents that I can think of right now, but I do have lots of beginner's luck. Does that count?

     
  • At 12:01 PM, February 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, are you saying that you knock it out of the park the first time you try, but then somehow lose it and aren't as good after that?

    I'm almost 70% sure that you should be very proud of that. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home