Softball Season Opener!
Well, our co-ed softball team "McCoy's" played their first game last night, under the lights. We had a fantastic turn-out, and everyone had a great attitude. I was a little nervous, having never played on a softball team before, but I decided to just play through it and hope I didn't make too many mistakes.
Our team was in the outfield at first, and I was assigned to "right center field". Now, first of all I was a little late getting to my position, (I didn't know we were already starting) because I was busy signing up for a t-shirt. Once I figured out that I was supposed to be playing, I found I had another problem: I didn't know where right-center was! But I asked one of my helpful teammates, and soon was where I needed to be.
That didn't last long, though, as I was immediately switched to second base. Um...ok. Now, I have no idea how to cover a base, where to stand, whome to throw too, ect. I let one go by me, but that's ok. Thankfully, I didn't see too much action that inning.
Then I got up to bat. I worked the count, and got one ball and one strike. I was waiting for "my" pitch. Then... bam! I hit one up high into left field! The man out there bobbled the ball for a bit, but then managed to catch it. I was out. Still, I was very happy that I'd connected so well with the ball.
Then, back in the field I went. This time, I was steadily stationed at right-center field. The action out there was kind of sparse, but I did run to get one foul ball (which probably took more time than it should have) and I missed one fair ball. That one was kind of embarassing because the second base-man ran for it just as I did. He got to it first (after coming from a much further distance away) and threw it all the way to the in-field.
I got up to bat one more time, this time I hit a grounder that got me out at first, ending our at-bat time of that inning. Its my new goal to get on base sometime this season.
I wasn't born with any real physical prowess (except for down-hill skiing). I wasn't the loudest, or cutest, or funnest, or most encouraging person there. I found myself wondering what I brought to the team. Well, right now all I can think of is that it is a team, and I must be important there for some reason that currently escapes me. But I look forward to finding out what that is, and how I can contribute. Look for more softball entries in the near future!
All scoring information about McCoy's can be found here.
Our team was in the outfield at first, and I was assigned to "right center field". Now, first of all I was a little late getting to my position, (I didn't know we were already starting) because I was busy signing up for a t-shirt. Once I figured out that I was supposed to be playing, I found I had another problem: I didn't know where right-center was! But I asked one of my helpful teammates, and soon was where I needed to be.
That didn't last long, though, as I was immediately switched to second base. Um...ok. Now, I have no idea how to cover a base, where to stand, whome to throw too, ect. I let one go by me, but that's ok. Thankfully, I didn't see too much action that inning.
Then I got up to bat. I worked the count, and got one ball and one strike. I was waiting for "my" pitch. Then... bam! I hit one up high into left field! The man out there bobbled the ball for a bit, but then managed to catch it. I was out. Still, I was very happy that I'd connected so well with the ball.
Then, back in the field I went. This time, I was steadily stationed at right-center field. The action out there was kind of sparse, but I did run to get one foul ball (which probably took more time than it should have) and I missed one fair ball. That one was kind of embarassing because the second base-man ran for it just as I did. He got to it first (after coming from a much further distance away) and threw it all the way to the in-field.
I got up to bat one more time, this time I hit a grounder that got me out at first, ending our at-bat time of that inning. Its my new goal to get on base sometime this season.
I wasn't born with any real physical prowess (except for down-hill skiing). I wasn't the loudest, or cutest, or funnest, or most encouraging person there. I found myself wondering what I brought to the team. Well, right now all I can think of is that it is a team, and I must be important there for some reason that currently escapes me. But I look forward to finding out what that is, and how I can contribute. Look for more softball entries in the near future!
All scoring information about McCoy's can be found here.

3 Comments:
At 3:24 PM, June 19, 2005,
Bethany said…
Good work Laura, just remember to keep those elbows up and run as soon as you make conact and you'll be just fine. First game, no practice, I think we did great...
At 10:22 AM, June 20, 2005,
Laura Ibsen said…
Did I not run right away? HA HA HA! Oh gosh - I'm glad I'm not a competitive person. :)
At 10:54 AM, June 21, 2005,
Laura Ibsen said…
Hey thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home