The All-Powerful Wizzard Of Gerber
Something interesting came in the mail the other day. I got a letter from Gerber (the baby food company). Before I got the letter, I would have had no idea how my name got on a Gerber mailing distribution list. I don't spend Friday nights hanging at Babies "R" Us, for example. Since I got the letter, though, I now understand that Gerber has the ability to see the future.

The letter was addressed to "Laura and baby". Apparently, this all-knowing entity has gone from canning jars of mush for the toothless population of the world to foreknowing their destinies. I assume they'll soon be taking over the world.
The purpose of the letter is for me to purchase life insurance for the baby they tell me is on the way. After all, I need to be "thinking about the future while my child is still young." Included in this plan is an exciting opportunity to get a free "Welcome Baby" certificate. They even threw in a little mock-up of what it looks like, saying "Welcome Jane Smith!" I can only surmise that I will someday marry Mr. Smith (Will???) and that we'll name our new baby girl Jane. Not too original, but maybe it's one of those "it's retro so it's cool" deals, like argyle sweaters or the Democratic Party.
In the very last part of the letter, Gerber throws in that this would be a good certificate for my child "or even my grandchild". Hold the phone here - not only am I about to be a mother, but a grandmother as well?!?! Great. My child is going to be a tramp. Oh well - I guess it's better that I know sooner rather than later. Thanks Gerber!
The letter was addressed to "Laura and baby". Apparently, this all-knowing entity has gone from canning jars of mush for the toothless population of the world to foreknowing their destinies. I assume they'll soon be taking over the world.
The purpose of the letter is for me to purchase life insurance for the baby they tell me is on the way. After all, I need to be "thinking about the future while my child is still young." Included in this plan is an exciting opportunity to get a free "Welcome Baby" certificate. They even threw in a little mock-up of what it looks like, saying "Welcome Jane Smith!" I can only surmise that I will someday marry Mr. Smith (Will???) and that we'll name our new baby girl Jane. Not too original, but maybe it's one of those "it's retro so it's cool" deals, like argyle sweaters or the Democratic Party.
In the very last part of the letter, Gerber throws in that this would be a good certificate for my child "or even my grandchild". Hold the phone here - not only am I about to be a mother, but a grandmother as well?!?! Great. My child is going to be a tramp. Oh well - I guess it's better that I know sooner rather than later. Thanks Gerber!

5 Comments:
At 6:02 PM, October 21, 2008,
Mike said…
You ha a baby!!!??? Congrats!
p.s. I don't think people or democrats because it's retro...
At 9:03 PM, October 21, 2008,
Mark said…
I am so excited for you Laura! Let me know if "she" needs a PCA!!!!
At 7:35 AM, October 22, 2008,
Joie said…
You're hilarious! :) I enjoyed this post. Thanks for writing. I miss you.
At 10:57 AM, October 22, 2008,
Laura Ibsen said…
Mike: Are you drunk right now? Your comment didn't make a lot of sence.
Mark: I'm sure any child of mine will have mental problems. I'll keep your number handy. :)
At 11:00 AM, October 22, 2008,
Laura Ibsen said…
Hey Joie!
I haven't been too faithful in blog writing or reading lately. I need to get over to yours to see what's going on in your life! I miss you too. How are things in India these days?
Post a Comment
<< Home